Description: Cathedral Church of the Holy Trinity
Date Listed: 24 March 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 144495
OS Grid Reference: SU4822129254
OS Grid Coordinates: 448221, 129254
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0606, -1.3133
869/6/39 THE CLOSE
24-MAR-50 CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
Cathedral Church of the
SU 4829 SW 6/39 24.5.50
Transepts, crypts and part of the nave 1079-l095, by Bishop Walkelyn, tower fell 1107 and rebuilt later. Retrochoir and Lady chapel early C13. Early English. Nave completely remodelled by Bishop Edington (1345-66), and William of Wykeham (1366-l404) with his master-mason William of Wynforde; this involved a Perpendicular recasing of the Norman nave. The Cathedral is built of Isle of Wight stone. Many important furnishings of all periods, particularly the Bishops' chantry chapels. Flying buttresses on the south by Sir T G Jackson 1909-12, as part of his general restoration. The Norman arcade, once the entrance to the Chapter House, which runs from the south transept to the Deanery, is included in the listing.
All listed buildings in The Close form a group.
Listing NGR: SU4814229184
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.