British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St John the Baptist, Claines

Description: Church of St John the Baptist

Grade: DL
Date Listed: 14 March 1969
Date Delisted: 13 June 2001
English Heritage Building ID: 147934

OS Grid Reference: SO8514558861
OS Grid Coordinates: 385145, 258861
Latitude/Longitude: 52.2278, -2.2189

Location: Claines Lane, Worcester WR3 7RD

Locality: Claines
Local Authority: Worcester City Council
County: Worcestershire
Country: England
Postcode: WR3 7RD

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

The following building was de-listed on 13th June 2001.


7/40 Church of St John the Baptist


Parish church. C12 origins, rebuilt early C15, C16 additions, restored and
enlarged by Aston Webb 1886/7 with further mid-C20 alterations. Dressed
sandstone, plain tiled roofs with parapets at gable ends and cross finial
at east end. West tower, 4-bay aisled nave with additional north outer
aisle and north and south porches, 2-bay chancel with north and south
chapels and north vestry. Perpendicular style, West tower: 3 stages,
3 strings, plain chamfered plinth which continues round building and
diagonal buttresses at west end; square-headed west window with 3 cusped ogee-
headed lights, most of the windows in the church are of this type; the north
and south walls have blocked doorways; second stage has a single ogee-headed
light to each face; belfry stage has square-headed, 2-light, louvred openings
and above is an embattled parapet with crocketted corner pinnacles.
Nave: lean-to aisles, late C19 outer north aisle has parapet with moulded
coping, buttresses with offsets and crocketted pinnacles, the parapet has
embrasures each side of pinnacles; north elevation reuses much of earlier
masonry from former north wall; three, 3-light windows; inner aisle has
gabled dormer with parapet, square-based finial and 2-light window above
third bay from west end; 3-light window in west elevation of both aisles,
the outer one having a two-centred head; north porch: late C19, projects
from easternmost bay, has a gable end parapet, corner pilaster buttresses,
central round-arched panels which are repeated in the side elevations; there
is a 2-light window in the west side elevation, South aisle: buttresses
with offsets, three 3-light windows, gabled dormer similar to north inner
aisle and 3-light window at west end. South porch: late C19, situated second
bay from west, has gable end parapet with kneelers and square-based finial,
diagonal corner buttresses with offsets, gablets and cusped lancet panels;
plain, chamfered, two-centred archway and above, a circular, traceried open-
ing pierced in apex; side elevations have square-headed openings with cusped
lancet tracery. Chancel: north and south chapels added during early C16;
north chapel is dedicated to St Catherine and the south chapel is a chantry
chapel; buttresses with offsets, the original diagonal buttress at the south-
east end of the chancel was set square when the chapel was added; 3-light
east window with two-centred head. North chapel: east gable end parapet
late C19 but retaining some quatrefoil panelling from the original early
C16 parapet; the pinnacles from the latter are reused on the west tower;
3-light east window with four-centred head, and at north-east end there is
a 3-light window reused from the original north chancel wall; to the west of
it projects the late C19 vestry which adjoins the north porch; this has a
gable end parapet with crocketted finials, a central gable end buttress with
a coat of arms carved above it; to the left of it is a round-arched doorway
with single roll moulding and to the right of it a 3-light window; in the
east side elevation, reused C16 2- and 3-light windows flank a central
buttress. The south chapel has a heavily moulded cornice following the
incline of the lean-to roof at the east end, a quatrefoil-panelled parapet
and crocketted, gabled and panelled pinnacles above each buttress; at the
east end is a 3-light window and in the south elevation a 2-light and a 3-light
window both reset from the original south chancel wall; between them is a
blocked doorway. The hopper heads all bear the date of the 1886 restoration.
Interior: 4-bay nave arcades with 2-centred arches of a single, chamfered order
on octagonal columns and responds with moulded capitals and bases; in the apex
of the east gable is a cinquefoil light; outer north aisle has 4-bay arcade
on compound piers with moulded capitals and bases and pointed arches; 2-bay
chancel arcades, the south one similar in detail to the nave arcades, the
north arcade is of 2 chamfered orders, the outer hollow chamfered and the
inner order wave moulded, the columns and responds continue the orders and
have moulded capitals and bases; 2-centred chancel arch of a single chamfered
order, semi-octagonal responds with moulded capitals and bases; tower arch
and arch into chantry chapel are both similar to the chancel arch; arch into
St Catherine's chapel is detailed in the same manner as the north chancel
arcade and has 2 early C19 squints in the south abutment, and the stairs to
the former rood loft in the north abutment; an aperture above the north abut-
ment is the only surviving evidence of the actual loft. A large, pointed arch-
way leads from St Catherine's chapel into the north vestry. Roofs: nave has
a trussed rafter roof, aisles retain medieval purlins, swept wind-braces and
principal rafters which are supported on foliated corbels. Roofs of chancel
and chapels, late C19, chancel has richly decorated cornice and also quatrefoil
panelling above wall-plate; all roofs have foliated bosses. Late C19 reredos,
altar rails, parcloses, pulpit, font and pews. Section of C12 arcade column
retained in recess in north wall of tower. C15 tiles set in east wall of
north porch. Memorials: recumbent effigy of John Porter, died 1577, in south-
east of chancel with a blind arcade on its north side of 3 round-headed arches
on fluted pilasters with blank shields in trefoiled panels beneath. Stone
coffin lid, probably C13 and carved with a Passion cross, set in floor at west
end of nave; also many ledger slabs on nave floor dating from late C17. Several
good late C17 and early C18 memorials in the north aisles which include a memorial
to Mary Porter, died 1668, with a segmental pediment, coat of arms and angel
head corbel; also 2 large cartouches to George Porter, died 1709 and Henry Wynne,
died 1693, and an early C18 memorial to the Jackson family with segmental
pediment and coat of arms. In the south-west corner of the chancel is a memorial
to Sir Harry Wakeman, died 1831, a bust on a draped sarcophagus by Hollins of
Birmingham; also memorials to Sir Offley Penbury died 1858, and to Mary Wakeman
died 1832, and a small early C18 cartouche. Both chapels and the south aisle
have numerous good quality memorials mainly of early C18 and early and mid-C19 date.
Glass is all late C19 except for the north-east window of St Catherine's chapel
which contains mid-C20 glass. A large, Perpendicular parish church, well
detailed, notably the exterior of the chantry chapel and main interior features
and having a particularly good collection of memorials. (VCH, 3(i); BoE).

Listing NGR: SO8514558861

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.