Church of St Peter, Titley
Description: Church of St Peter
Date Listed: 17 December 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 149187
OS Grid Reference: SO3312560178
OS Grid Coordinates: 333125, 260178
Latitude/Longitude: 52.2357, -2.9807
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
SO 36 SW TITLEY CP TITLEY
4/48 Church of St Peter
Parish church. 1865 by E Haycock Jnr. On site of former priory of a
cell of the order or Tiron, a branch of the Benedictine order. Sandstone
rubble with ashlar dressings and tiled roof. West tower, nave with north
aisle and south porch, chancel with north vestry. West tower of three
stages with string course and embattled parapet. Single lancets to each
stage. Clock face to south. Nave has plinth and a string course which
continues over the windows and acts as a label. Four bays with one single
traceried light to left and two windows with two cinquefoil headed lights
and quatrefoil in roundel to right of gabled south porch with trefoil headed
outer doorway. Four similar 2-light windows to north aisle. Tripartite
window to chancel with outer taller trefoil-headed lights flanking central
shorter light and trefoil in roundel, single trefoil headed light to right,
3-light east window. Interior has a four-bay arcade to the north aisle
with two-centred arched heads and circular piers with moulded bases and
capitals. Open arch-braced trusses to nave and chancel. Monuments on south
wall of chancel; two wall tablets, both Greenly memorials with broken pedi-
ment and cartouche of arms, Doric pilasters, commemorate John Greenly, died
1729 and William Greenly, died 1834. (BoE, p 300).
Listing NGR: SO3312560178
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.