Remains of Wigmore Abbey, Adforton
Description: Remains of Wigmore Abbey
Date Listed: 11 June 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 149486
OS Grid Reference: SO4106771308
OS Grid Coordinates: 341067, 271308
Latitude/Longitude: 52.3367, -2.8663
Location: Adforton, County of Herefordshire SY7 0NB
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
There is also a scheduled monument with a similar name, Wigmore Abbey, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This is probably the same structure or related to it in some way.
SO 47 SW ADFORTON CP GRANGE
6/20 Remains of Wigmore Abbey
Abbey, now ruins. Late C12 and C14. Founded by Hugh Mortimer for Augustinian
Canons of St Victor of Paris. Coursed sandstone rubble. Fragments of nave
and chancel with gable wall of south transept. The Abbey ruins are a
scheduled Ancient Monument, County no 135. (BoE, p 321-2; RCHM, Vol III, p 1).
Listing NGR: SO4107271321
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.