Church of St John of Jerusalem, Ford and Stoke Prior
Description: Church of St John of Jerusalem
Date Listed: 21 May 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 149619
OS Grid Reference: SO5116855309
OS Grid Coordinates: 351168, 255309
Latitude/Longitude: 52.1938, -2.7158
Location: A49, Leominster, County of Herefordshire HR6 0NZ
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
FORD CP FORD
SO 55 NW
2/56 Church of St John
Parish church. C12 origins, rebuilt in 1851 on old foundations. Coursed
sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings and machine-tile roof with gable-end
parapets. Three-bay nave with west doorway and base of west bellcote,
apsidal chancel with lean-to north vestry. Norman style. Nave: ashlar
pilaster buttresses at bay divisions of side elevations. Round-headed west
doorway with two hollow mouldings on imposts and chamfered jambs. Above
doorway is a circular window with a moulded surrounded. Side elevations
have chambered eaves cornice and small round-arched windows with chamfered
jambs. The moulded base of the bellcote survives. Chancel: also has
chamfered eaves cornice and three similar windows to those in the navel The
vestry also has a similar window in its west side but the arched head has
been altered. Interior: round-headed chancel arch on moulded imposts. Roof
has arch-braced collar trusses with king struts and swept braces above the
collar. There are chevron mouldings on the braces, collars and purlins and the
wall-plates are also moulded. The arch-braces are supported on colonnettes
with trumpet-scalloped capitals. Chancel has four strips of leather (?) painted
with figures of the Apostles between the rafters. There are two medieval bowls
on the chancel floor; one is octagonal, the other has chevron mouldings and a
drainage channel (?) at one side. C19 octagonal stone font with traceried
panels on sides of bowl. Ornately carved C19 timber pulpit with arched panels,
foliated and strapwork detailing in Jacobean style. Plate includes unusual
beaker cup with domed cover and raised ornament by William Gamble of 1688.
Memorials: oval memorial with festooned urn in chancel to Mary West, died 1800.
Also memorial in nave to Thomas Watkins, died 1830. There is recorded to be a
ledger slab in the chancel to Herbert ? , died 1707, and also in the vestry
to Elizabeth (Benett) wife of ? Flackett, 1676-7. (RCHM, Herefs III, p 63,
item 1; BoE, p 132).
Listing NGR: SO5116855309
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.