Description: Winsley House
Date Listed: 11 June 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 149624
OS Grid Reference: SO4836252732
OS Grid Coordinates: 348362, 252732
Latitude/Longitude: 52.1704, -2.7564
HOPE UNDER DINMORE CP
SO 45 SE
4/61 Winsley House
Farmhouse: C14, part rebuilt early C16, extended early C17, part refaced
late C18 with further late C19 and mid-C20 alterations. Part coursed sand-
stone rubble, part timber-framed with rendered infill and some brick refacing
and tile-hanging; machine tiled and corrugated iron roofs with brick ridge
stacks. C14 core lies to north-west, south and east wings rebuilt early C16
and porch added. South wing extended early C18 to form L-plan. Late in C18
the north and west fronts were rebuilt or refaced in brick and the east wing
extended. Two storeys and attic. Framing: ground floor rebuilt in stone.
First floor mainly of close set studding and jettied on moulded bressummers.
The gables are also all jettied on moulded bressummers and shaped brackets
and have collar and tie=beam trusses with close-set struts. An east gable
has a moulded and embattled bressummer and the porch wing has bargeboards
carved with a defaced inscription in early C16 capitals: "[Per signum tau]
libera nos Jeesu". North front: five bays surmounted by gable with parapet.
Windows all have gauged flat heads and have been replaced with C20 cross-
casements. There is a blind lunette in the gable. The central entrance has
an open pediment, engaged columns, a half-glazed door and a plain fanlight.
To the right of the five-bay part the brick refacing is continued and there is
a two-storey canted bay window with C20 cross-casements. To the right of the
bay window the wall ends in brick quoins and adjoins the gable end of the inter-
secting west wing which has a C20 ground floor 3-light casement. Interior:
C14 part recorded to have an open roof of three byas with collar and tie-beam
trusses, the main trusses having central-struts beneath the collars, and cusped
wind-braces. The kitchen is recorded to have an early C16 ceiling divided
into panels by moulded beams and a room in the south wing has a late C16 plaster
panel in the ceiling with a fleur-de-lis, roses and cherub heads. Other rooms
have epxosed ceiling beams. (RCHM, Herefs III, p 70, item 3; BoE, p 196).
Listing NGR: SO4836252732
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.