If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Michael
Date Listed: 2 September 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 149736
OS Grid Reference: SO4255745565
OS Grid Coordinates: 342557, 245565
Latitude/Longitude: 52.1054, -2.8401
There is also a scheduled monument, Moated site at Court Farm, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
MANSELL LACY CP -
SO 44 NW
4/55 Church of St Michael
Parish church. C12, C13, C14 and C15, with restorations in c1861 and 1878
when north vestry and organ chamber was added. Sandstone rubble and sand-
stone dressings with brick lining to vestry. Tiled roofs. West tower,
three- to four-bay nave with south aisle and porch. Three-bay chancel with
north vestry and organ chamber. Tower has three diminishing stages separated
by moulded strings. Pyramidical roof with weathercock. Top stage has pair
of trefoiled ogeed bell openings to south and west sides. East and north
sides have single trefoiled and ogeed openings. Middle stage has central
ogeed trefoiled light to south, and a clock face to the west. Ground stage
has a rectangular opening, with a mutilated head, to west side. Loop to
north side. South side has central chamfered doorway with two-centred head,
ledged oak door with strap hinges, probably C18 to C19. Above and to the
right of the doorway is weathering supported by three corbels. West corners
have short oblique pyramidical buttresses about two feet high. North elevation
of nave has two windows, both C19 with two trefoiled ogeed lights. The left
one has a lozenge in the spandrel; the right one a recessed moulded quatrefoil.
Three weathered buttresses. Immediately to the left of the tower is a small
weathered projection beneath which is a loop to stairs. Vestry and organ
chamber has cellar and a pair of trefoil-headed lights above which is a plaque
inscribed "1878". Each return has a single trefoiled and ogeed light. Chancel
has two windows. The right one has a pair of trefoil-headed lights; the left
one is similar but with a glazed lozenge in the spandrel. Between the two
windows is a weathered buttress. East elevation of chancel has three stepped
pointed lights in a two-centred head, probably early C14. Mullions, jambs,
arch and cill have ball-flowers about one foot apart. Diagonal weathered
buttress to each corner. Verge and gable cross, South elevation of chancel
has two similar windows to those opposite on north side, but with a third
2-light trefoiled window opposite the vestry and organ chamber. Weathered
buttress between centre and right-hand window. South aisle has east return
with three stepped trefoiled lights, verge and gable cross. Three pairs of
trefoil-headed lights, two to right of south porch and one to left. West
end of aisle has a 2-light trefoiled window with quatrefoil in the tracery.
Verge and gable cross. Between verge and south-east corner of the tower is
is a large valley gutter with moulded sides. C15 south porch has verge and
gable cross. Two-centred chamfered outer arch. Brattished wall-plates. Restored
open wagon roof with seven trusses. Projecting octagonal stoup with chamfered
undersides in round-headed recess. South doorway has square shouldered jambs
supporting incised lintel, perhaps formerly a typanum, above which are two
corbels with symmetrical scrolls and centrally above these a grotesque cat-
mask. C19 ledged oak door with strap hinges. Interior has open wagon nave
roof, perhaps C14. Chancel has similar trusses but with three moulded purlins,
one supporting collars and one to arch-braces on each slope. South aisle and
vestry roofs are C19. Chancel has lowered cill forming window seat or sedilia
in south-west window, a pair of opposed moulded brackets on north and south walls.
Moulded C19 responds to east side of vestry. Monument on north wall for William
Traunter, dated 1691. Stone with slate inscription panel. Cornice with shield-
of arms, foliated margins and apron with cherub. On south wall monument for the
infants, Samuel and Simeon Traunter, died 1675 and 1676. Stone with open segmental
pediment, the ends scrolled inwards. Reclining horn-blowing putti on the
pediment. Apron with cherub. Late C19 oak reredos has painting of the
Last Supper, gables with figures of St Michael and St George and crested
top. Contemporary communion table with foliated panels. Pair of mid-C19
free-standing tripod candlesticks. Wrought iron with scrolled feet and
cyclindrical stems, each rising to corona with five brass grease-pans. The
ironwork is painted in blue and red. Wall plaque for Capt AGM Burn, killed
in action near Gheluvelt, Flanders, at the first Battle of Ypres, 29th October
1914. East window has late C19 stained glass of The Three Shepherds, St George
and the Dragon, the Resurrection and to the side, prophets. South-west window
has small stained glass panel of Christ and the apostles, perhaps late C19.
Squint in west splay of south-west window has a moulded lintel. Organ is late
C19, and mainly cased in pine with exposed gilded pipes framed by three panels
and with two-centred heads. Choir desks, probably early C20 and perhaps elm,
have pointed panels and a pair of matching single desks. Vestry has cast-iron
chest with two raised and fielded panels to sides and top inscribed, "COAKBROOKDALE".
Chancel arch is C13, double chamfered with a two-centred head, part octagonal
responds, and moulded capitals. Nave has three-bay arcade to south aisle. Two
orders of double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers with moulded capitals and
unusual spurs to bases. To the east of the arcade is a large lintel supported
on corbels. In the middle of the north side of the lintel is a grotesque head.
Projection at north-west corner has narrow chamfered doorway with shouldered
head, two-panelled ledged door and strap hinges leading to tower stairs. Small
doorway, probably C19 and of similar design to the last leads through centre of
east wall of tower. Above is a corbel head and triangular headed inner arch
with deep splays to lancet which, before the tower existed, lit the nave.
Pulpit is C19 and pine. Part octagonal with recessed trefoil-headed panels
and two-branch brass candelabrum attached to top rail. In eastern bay a late
C19 cast iron stove, about five feet high by three feet diameter, with deep
fins and crown-finial on fluted capping. South aisle has piscina with chamfers
and two-centred head. Square drain on projecting bracket. Recessed two-centred
chamfered arch. Grotesque corbel head over south doorway. East window has
moulded angles part of the way up the jambs and a small panel of stained glass
consisting of a red cross on a yellow ground. Beneath the window is an oak
plaque for six men of the parish who died in the Great War. South side of
easternmost arcade pier has a rectangular recess, probably formerly an aumbry.
Font, probably C12 or C13, has round base, chamfered and moulded stem and
tapered round bowl. Wall monument for William Weaver, died 1801, by J Passen of
Tillington, in black, yellow and white marble, has tapering margins and drapery.
(BoE, p 249; RCHM, Vol III, p 145-6).
Listing NGR: SO4255745565
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.