Church of St Peter, Birley with Upper Hill
Description: Church of St Peter
Date Listed: 2 September 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 149783
OS Grid Reference: SO4535653354
OS Grid Coordinates: 345356, 253354
Latitude/Longitude: 52.1757, -2.8005
Location: Birley, County of Herefordshire HR4 8ET
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
SO 45 SE BIRLEY CP BIRLEY
8/1 Church of St Peter
Parish church. C13, extended C14, restored 1873-1974. Coursed rubble with
ashlar dressings under a tile roof. Pyramidal roof of tower is shingled.
Nest tower, nave, south chapel, chancel and north vestry. The west tower,
of the early C13, is of four stages, the belfry stage is timber-framed and
shingled, probably C17, with vertically slatted openings. It has a battered
plinth capped by a roll moulding and clasping corner buttresses. The ground
stage has a single-light semi-circular headed light in each wall, the first
stage a pointed lancet in each wall, and similar windows to the second stage.
The nave is early C14, of three bays on the north wall. A central lancet is
flanked by two windows, both of two pointed lights under a two-centred head.
South wall has two lancets flanking the C19 south porch. The south door is
probably C12, with a simple semi-circular arch, chamfered label and chamfered
jambs. The late C14 south chapel projects at the east end of the nave and
has a 4-light window in each wall, the lights have ogee trefoiled heads, with
cusped spandrels and square heads to each window. The gable has an exposed
timber truss with a cambered tie-beam and a central strut to the collar. The
chancel is also C14, of two bays with C19 lancets in the south wall with
priest's door between. The north vestry is late C19. The east window is of
three stepped pointed lights below a rose window of the C19. Interior: the
C17 tower arch is segmental-pointed of two chamfered orders, the responds each
have an attached filleted shaft with a simple foliate capital. The arch to
the south chapel is late C14 and is two-centred of two chamfered orders, the
outer continuous, the inner with moulded imposts and chamfered bases. In the
east respond there is a squint (now blocked). The chancel arch is early C14
and is two-centred of two moulded orders with a moulded label. The outer
order has ball flower ornament. The moulded responds each have three engaged
shafts, the north respond having a moulded and enriched capital, the south
respond capitals with dogs' heads and a fleur-de-lys. Piscina in south wall
of chancel has a C14 cinquefoiled head and projecting quatrefoil drain. Piscina
in south wall of nave, also C14, with ogee head and a square-headed piscina in
south wall of the.south chapel. Roofs of nave and chancel are C19 common rafter
type, with straight braces to the collars. South chapel roof is C14 of three
bays with arch-braced collar trusses and two tiers of purlins with cusped wind-
braces. The font under the tower is C12 and has a round bowl with a three-
strand interlaced band, a short arcaded stem on a diapered plinth. The pulpit
in the north-east corner of the nave is of semi-octagonal plan with two tiers
of panels, the lower tier with incised rosettes, the upper arcaded. A small
shield bears the date 1633. In south chapel two wall monuments with broken
pediments and urns to Mathew Croose (died1798) and Thomas Croose (died 1776).
(RCHM, 3, pp 15-16; BoE, p 74).
Listing NGR: SO4535753355
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.