If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Group of Eight Ledger Slabs Situated Immediately East of the Church of St George
Date Listed: 11 May 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 150188
OS Grid Reference: SO4425072096
OS Grid Coordinates: 344250, 272096
Latitude/Longitude: 52.3441, -2.8198
BURRINGTON CP BURRINGTON
SO 47 SW
3/9 Group of eight ledger
slabs situated immediately
east of the church of
Group of eight ledger slabs. Dated 1619 - 1754. Cast iron. From north to
south as follows:
1. to Robert Steward, died 1619
2. to Joyce Walker, died 1658 with scalloped rim
3. to Maria Hare, died 1674, with moulded rim
4. to Jane and Barbara Knight, died 1701 and 1705, with moulded rim
5. to Ralph Knight, died 1754, with broad ornate border
6. to Jane Hare, died 1678, with moulded rim
7. to Richard Knight, died 1745, with broad ornate border; similar to 5
8. to William Walker, died 1676, with moulded rim.
All slabs, apart from 2, have coats-of-arms reliefs. It is probable that
this unusual group of early cast iron slabs was produced at the Knight
family's iron foundry in Shropshire. The stone slab situated between
slabs 7 and 8 is mutilated and not included in this list. These slabs were
formerly sited in the church and removed at the time of restoration.
Listing NGR: SO4425072096
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.