Church of St Michael and All Angels, Lyonshall
Description: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Date Listed: 16 October 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 150269
OS Grid Reference: SO3310256258
OS Grid Coordinates: 333102, 256258
Latitude/Longitude: 52.2005, -2.9802
Location: A44, Lyonshall, County of Herefordshire HR5 3LN
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
There is also a scheduled monument, Lyonshall Castle, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
LYONSHALL CP -
SO 35 NW
4/11 Church of St Michael
and All Angels
Parish church. Late C12 core but mainly dating from mid- and late C13,
mid-C14 south aisle, west tower largely rebuilt during restoration of 1822
and further heightened in 1872-3 by G F Bodley, when south aisle was also
enlarged and the porch added. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings and
stone slate roof, timber-framed porch. West tower, nave with north aisle
and projecting north transept and south transept which does not project
beyond the south aisle, south porch, chancel with north organ chamber.
West tower: four stages with high plinth and embattled parapet. String
course at upper stages, C19 windows to bell stage of two cusped lights and
quatrefoil, two small triangular headed lights above roof level of nave to
east side, small round headed light to the west on second stage. Ground stage
has two triangular headed lights to north and south sides with C19 doorway to
south side and 2-light C19 window to west. Nave: has four clerestorey windows
to north and south, each of one trefoiled light. South side: two 2-light C19
windows to left and one similar winddw with square head to right of decorative
gabled timber-framed porch, inner C14 doorway with two-centred head of two
chamfered orders, 3-light window in gable end of south transept to right.
North side has three 2-light C19 windows, one to right and two to left of
one C13 trefoil headed light, the projecting gable end of the north transept
to the left has a cusped 3-light window with a two-centred head, and a trefoil
headed light to the east return. Chancel: late C13 window of two trefoil-
headed lights to left, and a similar window to right of doorway with segmental
head and chamfered jambs, two similar late C13 windows of two trefoil headed
lights flank organ chamber to north. Late C13 east window of three plain
lights, moulded label. Interior: the roofs of the nave and chancel are "
largely of the C19. The organ chamber retains a C14 roof with three open
arched-braced trusses and cusped wind-braces. North aisle with six-bay arcade,
shafted piers with moulded capitals and bases. Two-centred arches with two
chamfered orders. South aisle arcade also of six bays with the westernmost
bay a C19 addition, octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases; two-
centred arches with two chamfered orders. C12 reset tower arch with two-centred
head and two chamfered orders with chamfered imposts. Late C13 chancel arch,
two-centred with two chamfered orders, the inner dying onto responds. Mid-
C13 font, octofoil bowl and capitals carved with stiff-leaf foliage, stem
and base late C19. C13 effigy in south aisle with head missing, figure in
civilian clothing. (RCHM, Vol III, p 142; BoE, p 244).
Listing NGR: SO3310256258
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.