If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 16 October 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 150286
OS Grid Reference: SO3909558052
OS Grid Coordinates: 339095, 258052
Latitude/Longitude: 52.2173, -2.8929
There is also a scheduled monument, Moated Site at Court House Farm, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
PEMBRIDGE CP -
SO 3858 - 3958
10/28 Church of St Mary
Parish church. C12 and C13 origins; nave, north and south transepts
and chancel arch rebuilt during early C14; north porch added during late
C14. Restorations of 1871 and 1903-9. Sandstone rubble with some ashlar
facing and ashlar dressings; tiled roofs. Nave with north porch, north
and south aisles and north and south transepts; the south transept has a
projecting stair turret on the east side, chancel with C19 north vestry.
Nave: C14 clerestorey to north and south sides with four circular windows
with cinquefoils. The west end of the nave has a tall early C14 window
with two-centred head and five trefoiled-ogee headed lights and reticulated
tracery, label and head stops. Two-centred arch of two moulded orders to
west doorway with label and head stops. The south aisle has one early C14
window with two-centred head; two trefoiled-ogee headed lights and quatre-
foil with label to left end; two similar windows to right of south doorway;
two-centred arch of two moulded orders, no label. The west end window of
the south aisle is similar to the tall west window of the nave with three
trefoiled-ogee headed lights and reticulated tracery. The north aisle has
one similar window to the west end. The north side has one window with two-
centred head; two trefoiled-ogee headed lights and quatrefoil with label
and head stops to the right and two similar windows to the left of the north
porch which is of the late C14, with moulded plinth and gable with cinquefoiled-
ogee headed niche, flanked by pinnacles rising from angle buttresses; outer
two-centred arch of two hollow-chamfered orders and label with stops; C17
panelled double gate with curved top rail inscribed with "Benbough and Jo
Badham, Wardens Ano Dmi 1678". Decorative stone tierceron star vault spring-
ing from corbels with cusped and foiled panels and decorative central boss.
Inner two-centred arched doorway of two moulded orders and retains C14 nail
studded battened door with ornamental wrought iron hinges and C17 lock.
The north transept has one tall north window with two-centred head and three
trefoiled ogee headed lights, reticulated tracery and label. The east and
west windows are of two trefoiled ogee headed lights with a quatrefoil in
a two-centred head with labels. The windows to the south transept are similar.
Chancel: north side with late C14 window with two-centred head, one cinquefoiled
and two trefoil headed lights, to right of late C19 vestry. South side of
chancel has a 3-light window similar to that on the north side to the left of
a mid-C13 window of two trefoil-headed lights and pierced quatrefoil. The
early C14 east window is of four trefoiled lights with reticulated tracery.
Interior: trussed rafter roof to nave and transepts with moulded wall-plate;
one tie-beam toward the east has cusped braces below; moulded wall-plates to
the pent roofs of the aisles. Six-bay north and south arcades with two-centred
arches of two moulded orders. Octagonal piers with moulded capitals and bases.
Square-headed upper doorway in the south-east angle of the nave formerly load-
ing to the rood loft and supported on corbelling below sill with cinquefoiled
decoration. In the east wall of the south transept is an ogee-headed doorway
with chamfered jambs, giving access to the rood stair. Early all two-centred
chancel arch of two moulded orders, outer continuous, inner springing from
triple shafted corbels. The chancel retains traces of the earlier building
in the south wall; blocked C13 arch which has a semi-circular shaft to respond
with stiff-leaf capital. Fittings: C13 font with square stem with attached
semi-circular responds giving bowl of similar shape. C17 pulpit, octagonal
with robust carvings to panelled sides in two layers; blank arcading and
dragons. C17 communion rail with splat balusters and moulded rail. The
lectern is partially reconstructed but contains a C17 panel in a robust
style similar to that of the pulpit. Monuments: in chancel: pair of C14
chest tombs, each with a pair of effigies, one of a civilian and a lady,
and the other of a knight and a lady. Anne Sherbourne memorial: wall
tablet 1668, inscription panel flanked by draped female figures support-
ing entablature with broken pediment, cartouche of arms and cherubs.
Thomas Trafford memorial, wall tablet 1685 with inscription panel flanked
by twisted Corinthian columns, entablature and broken pediment, cartouche
of arms and putti. On south wall, Alice Sherbourne memorial, wall tablet
1660, inscription panel flanked by draped female figures, entablature
with segmental pediment, putti and cartouches of arms. William Sherbourne
memorial, wall tablet 1671, inscription panel flanked by twisted composite
columns, entablature and broken pediment, cartouche of arms. There are
traces of wall paintings in the south transept; circles on a red ground.
There are also traces of the Lord's Prayer on the south wall of the south
aisle, probably C18. (RCHM, Vol III, p 159; BoE, p 266).
Listing NGR: SO3909458064
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.