Bodley Monument About 50 Yards West of the South Porch of the Church of St James, Kinnersley
Description: Bodley Monument About 50 Yards West of the South Porch of the Church of St James
Date Listed: 16 July 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 150417
OS Grid Reference: SO3451349616
OS Grid Coordinates: 334513, 249616
Latitude/Longitude: 52.1409, -2.9583
Location: A4112, Kinnersley, County of Herefordshire HR3 6QF
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
KINNERSLEY CP -
SO 34 NW
3/48 Bodley monument about
50 yards west of the
south porch of the
Church of St James
Chest tomb and kerb. Circa 1907. Sandstone. Tapered from west to east
with deeply moulded sides and chamfered capping on which is a raised circular
motif and foliated stem in the style of a medieval coffin lid. East and west
ends have enrichments cutting across the mouldings, that to the west with an
achievement. Low kerb has raised portion to centre of east end. Inscription
on chamfer of capping of chest tomb, "In Loving memory of George Frederick
Bodley RA DCL FSA FRIBA/ who entered unto rest Oct 21 1907 aged 80". Bodley
designed the extensive painting scheme for tyre Church of St James (qv). The
design of the Bodley monument closely resembles one a few yards to the east
which is dated 1895, (Not listed).
Listing NGR: SO3451349616
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.