If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St John the Baptist
Date Listed: 2 September 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 150439
OS Grid Reference: SO3351246451
OS Grid Coordinates: 333512, 246451
Latitude/Longitude: 52.1124, -2.9723
LETTON CP -
SO 34 NW
3/70 Church of St John
Parish church. C12, C13 and C14, with restorations of 1883. Sandstone
rubble, tufa sandstone dressings and Welsh slate. Timber-framing with
plaster infill to tower. Stone slate roofs. Cruciform plan with two-bay
nave and two to three-bay chancel to either side of north tower and south
transept. South porch. Tower has three stone stages and timber-framed
fourth stage. Pyramidical roof with weathercock. Short weathered diagonal
buttresses to north-west and north-east corners. West elevation has central
vent loop to second stage and chamfered square-headed opening to penultimate
stage. Timber-framed top part has thin vertical studs and a pair of angle
struts rising from cill to corner posts. East and north elevations are
similar to west elevation save for a trefoil-headed opening to ground stage
of each, that to north elevation being to left of centre. North elevation
of nave has tufa string mid-way up the wall. Large sharply tapered buttress
with tumbled coursing to left of centre. Weathered diagonal buttress to
right corner. Verge with gable cross. North elevation of chancel has a
central 2-light traceried window under a square head. Each light is trefoiled
and ogee-headed. To the left is a chamfered lancet. East elevation has 3-
light window with stepped uncusped lights. Restored verge and gable cross.
East end of nave, above chancel, has vertically hung slates, some Welsh and
others perhaps Westmorland slates. South elevation of chancel has lancet
to right-hand side, a recessed triangular headed one-light window to left
of centre and a priest's door with chamfered two-centred head and C19 ledged
oak door to the left-hand side. South elevation of south transept has central
quatrefoil-headed light beneath sundial and two blind pointed recesses. Diagonal
buttresses to corner. Verge and gable cross. Right-hand return has a pair of-
trefoil-headed lights. Left-hand return has one trefoil-headed light and half
of a large restored arch within which is a recessed blocked squint-like opening
and a triangular-headed doorway with two orders of roll mouldings and a nail-
studded oak ledged door with, perhaps, C17, scutcheon-plate, strap hinges and
handle. South elevation of nave has a pair of restored trefoil-headed lights.
Large buttress with tumbled coursing to left corner. Lean-to early C20 oak
porch covers entry into south wall next to junction with south transept. Entry
has red sandstone C12 lintel with geometric pattern to centre and two zig-zags
to each end. Jambs are mostly of tufa and continue the zig-zag to round super-
arch where the motif chamges to semi-circles. Label with nail head design.
Ledged oak door with rich asymmetrical scrolls, perhaps C12, from strap hinges.
West elevation of nave has a pair of trefoil-headed lights with tufa jambs.
Beneath is the west doorway which has a round tufa arch beneath which is a
mid-C20 lintel. Ledged door, probably also mid-C20. Interior has open wagon
roofs, much restored. That of chancel is lower than that of nave. The latter
has corbel table supporting wall-plate as it crosses the south wall of the tower.
South transept roof is probably C19 . Chancel has tufa in walls and a recess
with a two-centred head at the east end of the south wall. Further west is a
similar but larger recess, a C13 piscina, with a projecting circular drain.
North wall has segmentally headed tomb recess with pendant and trefoiled cusps.
C17 oak communion table with carved rails and bulbous legs. C17 choir stalls
comprising five benches and two seats, having turned legs, carved arms and
rectangular back panels with moulded margins. On north wall, monument for John
Freeman, died 1816, in the form of austere rectangle in black and white marble
with a small apron enriched with acanthus. East window has stained glass
with geometrical patterns for Elizabeth Blisset, died 1867, which was restored
in 1981. South-west and north-west windows have similar designs and are for
Mary Blisset, died 1882 and Charles Blisset, died 1859. Brass plaques on south
wall are for Edward Chamberlain, died 1712; Joane Parker, died 1697; the Revd
Rowland Parry, died 1761; his wife Elizabeth, died 1736; and son Harry, died
1722. On north wall is a C17 to C18 reader's desk with canted front, swags,
under-cut carving and scrolled end. Seat has plain back similar to those of
choir stalls and is linked to desk by rail at arm-level beneath which are
turned balusters alternating with enriched splat balusters. Nearby, in contrast
is a late C20 Wurlitzer Digital Music System. Nave has plain two-centred tower
arch to the right of which is a triangular-headed niche. Font is C13. Octagonal
bowl with chamfered underside, octagonal stem and round base. Pulpit is early
C18, part octagonal with swags and ribbons, acanthus frieze. Back panel support-
ing tester has carved front. Tester is also enriched with carved front and has
pilasters to angles. C20 steps have three turned balusters, probably C18, to
handrail. Oak lectern in memory of the Great War. Near the tower arch is a
grey and white marble wall monument for John Blisset, died 1822, consisting of
a draped sarcophagus surmounted by a broken tree. South transept has fluted
chamfer stops at north-west corner at junction with nave. Piscina in east wall
is C14. Ogeed head with inner arch also ogeed and ball-flowers between the two.
Circular drain. On the same wall a contemporary recess with two-centred arch
and two rows of ball-flowers. Two multilated tomb recesses in south wall.
Late C19 stained glass for the Blissets and Margaret Dew. Tower has several
C18 floor slabs and, in the east window cill, fragments of a C13 foliated coffin-
lid. Cast iron chest with two fielded panels to the lid and front and pivoted
handles to ends and lid. Raised inscription on lid:
(BoE, p 232-3; RCHM, Vol III, p 133-5).
Listing NGR: SO3351146452
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.