If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Upper House Farmhouse
Date Listed: 19 August 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 150631
OS Grid Reference: SO3104849714
OS Grid Coordinates: 331048, 249714
Latitude/Longitude: 52.1414, -3.0090
EARDISLEY CP KINGTON ROAD (east side)
SO 3049 - 3149
7/76 Upper House Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Probable C15 origins, altered and extended circa 1600 with
further mid-C19 alterations. Timber-framed with rendered and painted brick
infill on rubble base, partly roughcast with stone-tiled roofs laid in
diminishing courses. Original central range of probably three framed bays
aligned north/south consisting of a hall with a screens passage at the south
end and a solar at the-north end. Circa 1600 chimney was added on the
west side with two diagonal brick shafts and an upper floor was inserted.
Also added was a three-bay parallel west range (which has a later external
rubble chimney with a brick stack at its north end), a three-bay south cross-
wing with an external rubble chimney on its south side (this wing may replace
an earlier service wing) and also a north-east wing of two and a half bays, the
eastern half-bay being a chimney bay, and which has a lean-to' outshut with
a catslide roof on its north side. Mainly two storeys and cellar. Framing:
original part has close-set studding, three rows from sill to wall-plate and
a collar and tie-beam truss at the north end with close-set struts beneath the
collar and a V-strut above. Elsewhere four or five rows of square and/or
rectangular panels from sill to wall-plate and some solid upper corner braces.
Mainly collar and tie-beam trusses with struts. South wing has tie-beam truss
with raking struts at rear. West range has a jettied first floor on the west
side and at the north end with pendant ball finials beneath the end and two
intermediate posts. The first floor of the south wing is also jettied on
shaped brackets at the west end. West front elevation: west range to left
has a pair of ground floor windows and two first floor windows; all are of
three lights and have moulded architraves. There is also a cellar window
with a cambered brick head in the rubble base. At the southern end is a
segmental timber archway leading to the main entrance which has half-glazed
double doors and is approached by a flight of brick steps with an iron hand-
rail. In the angle with the south wing is a 2-light ground floor casement.
The west gable end of the south cross-wing to the right has a 3-light first
floor casement with a plank weathering. The north gable end of the original
range has a ground floor cavetto-mullioned window of five lights with a
moulded head and sill; there is a similar window of four lights in the angle
with the north-east wing. Also the north side of the north-east wing has a
large timber-framed gabled dormer which is jettied on shaped brackets with
pendant finials beneath the end posts. It has scalloped bargeboards and
above the roof truss collar is a small coffin-shaped window. Interior: original
hall recorded to have a central roof truss with arch-braced collar and a door-
way at the west end of the screens passage with original moulded jambs (head
has been removed). The passage has an open-timbered ceiling supporting a
gallery, now incorporated with the inserted first floor. The north wall of
the hall has an original doorway with a four-centred head and sunk spandrels.
In the C17 chimney is set a C14 stone with a cusped traceried head. Main
ceiling beams are exposed and chamfered. A first floor room has some C17
panelling. At the head of the staircase an octagonal newel post with a
finial survives. (RCHM, III, p 53, item 5; BoE, p 120).
Listing NGR: SO3104849714
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.