If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: The Bay Horse Inn
Date Listed: 25 October 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 151027
OS Grid Reference: SO6541754651
OS Grid Coordinates: 365417, 254651
Latitude/Longitude: 52.1890, -2.5073
815/1/198 HIGH STREET
The Bay Horse Inn
(Formerly listed as:
THE BAY HORSE INN)
(Formerly listed as:
(Formerly listed as:
THE BAY HORSE INN (INCLUDING THE ICE B
A public house, originally two buildings originating in the C17, with later alteration and extension.
MATERIALS: The building has timber framing to the front with brick extension to the rear. The main range roof is slate, the extension is clay tiled. There are brick chimney stacks.
PLAN: The building is orientated north-west to south-east, in line with the road. Both Nos. 19 and 21 are two bays wide and two rooms deep. There is a large extension to the rear of No. 19.
EXTERIOR: Both buildings have exposed timber framing on their principal facades, although they are very different in construction. There are two distinct facets to No. 19: the left part is stepped forward and has a large, four-over-four sash window to the left of a solid panelled door with rectangular two-light fanlight. To the right of the door are two six-over-six sashes, one of which is on the return to the façade. At first-floor level on the left is a six-light casement, on the right a casement with three openings of four lights; there is a further four-light casement on the return. On this projecting part of the façade, timber framing is only visible at first-floor level. The remainder of the façade of No. 19 has small framing at the ground floor and small panelling with ovolo moulding at first floor. The framing to No. 21 is largely close studding. The roughly-central front door opens into the right-hand bay. It is a solid, six-panelled door with a pilastered surround terminating in moulded consoles supporting a cornice. To the right of the front door is a canted bay window with one-over-one sash windows; it has moulded panelled surrounds. To the left is a tripartite mullioned window with six-over-six inserted sashes. On the first floor are two, twin-casement windows, each with four lights and scrolled consoles supporting moulded cornices. Above each of these is a double, two-light casement. There is evidence to suggest the eaves across the length of the building have been raised.
INTERIOR: The interior was not inspected for the purposes of this assessment, but this description has been informed by the Insight Historic Buildings Research report (2009). There are chamfered and stopped ceiling beams and exposed timber framing throughout the two buildings. There has been much internal subdivision and rearrangement, sometimes reusing old timbers. In No. 19 there is an inserted fireplace behind the front wall, and elaborate and finely-executed plaster mouldings in the right-hand bay. There is a dog-leg stair with broad square newels with moulded tops. There is evidence that the projecting bay is a later refronting.
HISTORY: Bromyard is a small market town that was first recorded in circa 840. The Bay Horse, Nos. 19-21 High Street is situated on one of the principal thoroughfares in the town which was known as Novus Vicus in the late C13 and recorded as Newe Streate in 1575. The street appears to have been fully built-up by the early C17, though some of the plots have been re-developed since that time. The Bay Horse is described in the statutory list as dating from the C17.
Nos. 19 and 21 seem to have been built separately but close in date to each other. It is unclear whether they were originally one property, but were certainly once two separate pubs; the Black Swan and the Castle Inn, which were merged and began trading as the Bay Horse in the early C19.
There has been much historic development, including internal reordering, the insertion of partition walls and fireplaces, the raising of the eaves and the refronting of part of the principal façade. The building was also been extended to the rear in the C20.
Dalwood H and Bryant V, An Archaeological Assessment of Bromyard - The Central Marches Historic Towns Survey 1992-6 (2005) - http://ads.ahds.ac. uk/catalogue/projArch/EUS/marches_eus_2005/downloads.cfm?county=herefordshire&area=bromyard&CFID=1543698&CFTOKEN=53188440 - Accessed on 18 August 2010
James D, Insight Historic Buildings Research, An Analysis of the Historic Fabric of Fifty Buildings in the Central Area of Bromyard, Herefordshire (2009)
Eisel, J and Shoesmith, R, The Pubs of Bromyard, Ledbury and East Herefordshire, Logaston Press 2003
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The Bay Horse Inn, Nos. 19-21 High Street, a public house, originally two buildings originating in the C17 with later alteration and extension,is designated at Grade II* for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: an early building with several phases of development which are legible in the extant fabric
* Early date: the building originates in the early C17
* Survival: the majority of the C17 timber frame of the front range of the building is intact, including unusual ovolo-moulded panelling to one bay
* Interior: there is ornate plasterwork to one of the principal ground floor rooms, and a good C17 stair with elaborate newel post
* Group value: with the surrounding listed buildings, and makes a positive contribution to the street scene
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.