Aylton Parish Church, Aylton
Description: Aylton Parish Church
Date Listed: 6 March 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 152673
OS Grid Reference: SO6584037666
OS Grid Coordinates: 365840, 237666
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0363, -2.4994
Location: Aylton, County of Herefordshire HR8 2RQ
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
AYLTON CP AYLTON
SO 63 NE
5/8 Aylton Parish Church
Parish church. C12 with later alterations, restored 1928. Sandstone rubble
in large squared blocks with sandstone dressings, rendered west gable top,
two brick buttresses to west end, brick and timber porch, plain tiled roofs.
Continuous small three-bay nave and two-bay chancel with south wall of chancel
slightly set back at east end beyond stone buttress; south porch. Square,
probably C17 bell-turret over west end of nave is rendered with pyramidical
roof. Nave: west window is centrally placed C20 lancet above which is
tiled weathering at eaves level; minute C12 round-headed windows in east side
of north wall with a 2-light square-headed window opposite in the south wall.
C18 plaster sun-dial on west side of south wall. Chancel: C14 2-light east
window with deep chamfers and ogee heads; small one-light square-head chamfered
window in south wall. South porch: late C19 to C20 brick open side walls and
front piers, two curved struts from tie of gable end to rafters with oak plaque
on the struts showing date "165-" (1654 according to RCHM); C17 balusters, some
restored, four to each open side, above the brick side walls, have run-out
chamfer-stops to tops and bottoms which are narrower than the turned centres
of each baluster. C18 south doorway with 2-centred head. Interior: plastered
barrel ceiling to chancel and nave is divided by chancel screen, perhaps C15
and incorporating fragments of rood loft. The screen has three bays with the
entrance bay left of centre, moulded posts; outer spandrels are traceried with
daggers and cusped rosettes; inner spandrels are brattished; over the moulded
lead rail is a range of trefoil-headed panels. To the east of the screen is
a tie-beam with run-out chamfer-stops, possibly C17. Small early C17 communion
table with turned legs and c1700 communion rails with moulded rails and balusters.
Late C19 harmonium inscribed "Bridgeport/Organ Co. Bridgeport/ Conn USA".
Corbelled projection to left of altar. Small drainless piscina to south wall.
Nave: cambered tie-beam with keel moulding and run-out chamfer spans from above
the south door. Font, perhaps C17, with plain hemi-spherical bowl and project-
ing rim on columnar shaft and octagonal base. Restored timber supports to bell-
turret. (RCHM, Vol II, p 8-9).
Listing NGR: SO6584037666
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.