Church of St Bartholomew, Ashperton
Description: Church of St Bartholomew
Date Listed: 6 March 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 152981
OS Grid Reference: SO6425841493
OS Grid Coordinates: 364258, 241493
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0706, -2.5228
Location: Church Lane, Ashperton, County of Herefordshire HR8 2SW
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
There is also a scheduled monument, Ashperton Castle, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
ASHPERTON CP CHURCH LANE
SO 64 SW
5/16 Church of St Bartholomew
Parish church. Early C14, incorporating mid-C13 chancel arch of earlier
building, late C18 west tower, and C19 south porch. Church restored 1840.
Sandstone rubble, part rendered, slate roofs. West tower, nave with south
porch and north and south transepts, chancel. West tower: three stages with
clasping buttresses, upper string course and crenellated parapet; simple Y-
tracery to vents of bell stage; south doorway in second stage with external
stair. Nave: five bays; part restored single lights with ogee-heads flank
gabled porch; 2-light window to gable end of south transept with trefoil-
headed lights, similar window to north transept. Chancel: three bays; single
ogee-headed light to west and 2-light window to east with trefoil-headed lights
(similar to windows of north and south transepts); east end, 3-light traceried
window with ovoid panel in render above. Interior: ceiled roof with mid-C16
moulded tie-beams; mid-C13 chancel arch of two orders with moulded captials
and water-holding bases to responds of inner order, ogee-headed piscina in
chancel and similar recesses in north side of east wall of nave and in south
wall of south transept. Plain restored hemispherical font on cylindrical
base to north of chancel arch, possibly C13 (formerly sited in churchyard),
further mid-C19 font towards rear of nave. Monuments: Thomas Lord memorial
dated 1652 on east wall of nave, wall tablet with trefoiled head; Wilson
memorial, late C17 wall monument with short columns supporting open segmental
pediment, inscription panel with folded ribbon detail to central oval panel,
inscription illegible. Church is near moated site of former castle belonging
to William de Grandison who obtained licence to crenellate in 1292. The
earlier church on this site was possibly built as a Chapel of Ease close to
the house. (RCHM, Vol II, p 2/3; Watkins, Duncomb's History of the County
of Hereford, Hundred of Radlow, 1902, p 10 and 12).
Listing NGR: SO6425841493
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.