If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of Holy Trinity, Bosbury

Description: Church of Holy Trinity

Grade: I
Date Listed: 6 March 1972
English Heritage Building ID: 153037

OS Grid Reference: SO6954943451
OS Grid Coordinates: 369549, 243451
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0886, -2.4458

Location: B4220, Bosbury, County of Herefordshire HR8 1PT

Locality: Bosbury
County: Herefordshire
Country: England
Postcode: HR8 1PT

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


There is also a scheduled monument, Old Court Farm gatehouse, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.

Listing Text

BOSBURY CP MAIN STREET (north side)
SO 64 SE

6/72 Church of Holy Trinity

6.3.67

GV I


Parish church. Late C12 or early C13, incorporating fabric of earlier C12
building, C15 south porch and early C16 Morton Chapel by Thomas Morton, died
1511, brother of the then Archbishop of Canterbury. Church restored 1871.
Coursed sandstone rubble, tiled roofs, part timber-framed south porch. Nave
with north and south aisles, south porch and south Morton Chapel, chancel.
Nave: six bays with moulded corbel table and raised verges; six evenly
spaced lancets light clerestory with roof of south aisle below; one C19
square-headed window with three trefoil-headed lights and lancet to west
and similar lancet to east flank projecting gabled south porch with later
inserted dwarf walls below framing, swept bracing to main posts and swept
wind-braces to roof. C19 bargeboard to gable; Morton Chapel to east with
diagonal buttresses and altered parapet (formerly embattled), two 3-light
transomed windows with Perpendicular tracery, similar 4-light window without
transom to east; Chancel: three bays with corbel table and raised verge,
three lancet windows with round-headed doorway between two western windows;
restored 4-light late C15 east window with Perpendicular tracery. Interior:
six-bay arcades to north and south aisles of two chamfered orders and chamfered
label, circular piers with moulded bases and trumpet-scallop capitals; single-
framed rafter roof to nave, possibly C13, two-bay stone fanvault to Morton
Chapel, lean-to roofs to aisles with moulded principals and wall-plates; chancel
arch of two orders, inner chamfered and outer with roll and fillet moulding,
moulded bases and trumpet-scallop capitals to responds. Fittings: screen,
extensively restored, C15 wooden structure of five bays, central larger door-
way flanked by outer bays each with three traceried sub-divisions, ribbed
coving above; font: c1200 square base with five shafts supporting square
bowl with rounded concave sides; early C17 lectern with turned stem on three-
armed base and supported by three scrolled struts; pulpit and reader's desk
incorporate C16 and C17 fragments. Monuments: in chancel south wall, John
Harford memorial, large recessed wall monument commemorating John Harford
died 1559, signed by John Guldo of Hereford 1573, pedimented surround with
Corinthian columns on tall bases, semi-circular head to arched recess with
Ionic capitals to pilasters, recumbent effigy in civil costume on sarcophagus
supported by two lions, the whole enriched with rosettes in spandrels and
large leaves and rounded in tympanum, shell motif and three panels with vases
and two shields and an achievement of arms at back of recess. In north wall,
large recessed wall monument commemorating Richard Harford died 1578, his
wife Martha and Anthony Harford, attributed improbably to John Guldo of Hereford,
caryatid-type figures possibly Adam and Eve flank central semi-circular headed
arched recess with segmental pediment. Two recumbent effigies, male and female
in civil costume on sarcophagus supported by two grotesque animals, the whole
enriched with foliage and flock motifs and rather more primitive in style than
John Harford memorial on opposite wall.


Listing NGR: SO6954843449

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |