Church of St Deinst, Llangarron
Description: Church of St Deinst
Date Listed: 26 February 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 153889
OS Grid Reference: SO5303721169
OS Grid Coordinates: 353037, 221169
Latitude/Longitude: 51.8871, -2.6837
Location: Llangarron, County of Herefordshire HR9 6NL
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
SO 52 SW LLANGARRON CP LLANGARRON
2/85 Church of St Deinst
Parish church. 014. West tower, nave and chancel, C15 south porch, north
aisle dated 1841. Coursed sandstone rubble, ashlar dressings, slate roofs.
West tower with south stair turret and spire, nave with south porch and
north aisle, chancel. West tower: three stages, moulded plinth and parapet
above roll moulding, stepped diagonal buttresses, recessed octagonal spire,
traceried window to west with two cusped ogee lights and hoodmould, loop
vents to second stage and 2-light windows to bell chamber, square stair
turret rising as semi-octagonal above string course toward second stage level,
lit by loops. Four bay nave: two trefoiled ogee headed lights and quatrefoil
with hoodmould set in later gabled dormer window and 2-light square headed
window to west, large heavily restored late C14 curvilineared traceried
window of two cusped lights and square 2-light window to east of gabled stone
porch, doorway of two orders with chamfered jambs, quatrefoil panel in gable.
Two bay chancel: square headed 2-light window to west and further square
headed window with two trefoiled ogee headed lights flanking restored doorway.
Buttress to chancel arch incorporating a piece of earlier masonry with traces
of a Norman interlace pattern. Interior: C19 roof to nave, C14 scissor braced
roof to chancel. Chancel arcade probably of C16; central 2-centred arch of
two chamfered orders springing from moulded imposts flanked by heavily restored
smaller arches of one chamfered order; north arcade and aisle 1841.
Fittings: C14 octagonal font with quatrefoil in roundel enclosing rosette
to each facet, alternating rosette and quatrefoil to lower facets.
Wooden pulpit c1680, tall blank arches to five panelled sides, fluted
frieze, C17 communion rails with turned balusters and moulded rails reused
as screen. Monuments: cusped sepulchral recess in south-east wall of nave,
small figure on coffin-shaped slab on south wall near doorway referred to as
Chrisholm Child possibly early C14; west wall: Jane Gwillam memorial, C18
marble wall tablet, scrolled cartouche with coat of arms above; south wall:
Scudamore memorial. Early C18 scrolled and draped marble tablet with cherubs
and defaced shield by Fowler of Gloucester. Chancel east wall: Gwillym
memorial, late C17 or early C18, highly decorative marble tablet with
scrolled and draped oval inscription panel, with cherubs, cherbus' heads and
cartouche with two coats of arms.
Listing NGR: SO5303321171
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.