Church of St Michael, Sutton
Description: Church of St Michael
Date Listed: 26 January 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 154045
OS Grid Reference: SO5264645824
OS Grid Coordinates: 352646, 245824
Latitude/Longitude: 52.1087, -2.6928
Location: Sutton, County of Herefordshire HR1 3AY
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
There is also a scheduled monument, Deserted medieval village, Sutton St Michael, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
SO 54 NW SUTTON CP SUTTON ST MICHAEL
4/80 (5/2C) Church of St Michael
Former parish church. Mainly C12, restored c1865 and 1909. Sandstone
rubble, nave roof has plain tiles with stone cross on eastern verge,
chancel roof is stone slate. cl? timber bell-turret with lead sides
and slate roof. Two-bay nave, west bell-turret, two-bay chancel, early
C20 west porch. Chancel: single-light C12 windows, the two to the south
altered into trefoiled ogees in C14. Nave: blocked 2-centred arch,
possibly C13, behind the porch, may have been for access to a projected
west tower; north-east window has ogee headed wooden 'Y' tracery, probably
C18; north-west window has two c1300 trefoil headed lights, between the
two is a blocked C12 single light window at a higher level; two south
windows also each have two trefoiled lights. Interior: barrel roof, plastered.
Chancel arch is round-headed, plastered over and has C18 imposts and key-
stone. Two fonts, one C12 with round bowl, cyclindrical stem and four
carved lions with emphasis on their fur on the base; the other on the
south-east nave window cill, is a small c1645 urn-shaped font with a
gadrooned rim supported by a C15 (?) angel holding a book. At the west
end of the south wall of the nave, striking monument to Elizabeth Cotton,
died 1645; broken pediment supported by barley-sugar columns, inscription
under segmental arch flanked by a pair of female figures, semi-reclining
cadiver beneath. Corbel head, C14 (?), re-set high up on west wall of nave
above C12 font. The parishes of Sutton St Michael'and Sutton St Nicholas
were united in 1876. (RCHM, Vol II, p 178).
Listing NGR: SO5264845824
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.