Church of St Margaret, Wellington
Description: Church of St Margaret
Date Listed: 15 July 1985
English Heritage Building ID: 154100
OS Grid Reference: SO4971948201
OS Grid Coordinates: 349719, 248201
Latitude/Longitude: 52.1298, -2.7359
Location: Wellington, County of Herefordshire HR4 8AZ
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
SO 44 NE WELLINGTON CP WELLINGTON
3/136 Church of St Margaret
Parish church. Late C12 to C16, restorations in 1883, 1887 and 1912/13.
Sandstone rubble, stone slate roofs. Late C12 west tower and nave, C13
chancel, C15 or early C16 north transept and aisle, C14 south porch.
Tower: four stages separated by deep string courses, battered base.
Clasping buttresses to north-west and south-west corners and central
pilasters to north, west and south penetrate and stop above string
dividing first and second stages. These buttresses and pilasters carry
wall-shafts some with scalloped, some with figurative capitals, the
longer corner shafts with spiky open waist-bands; the pilasters in
addition each contain round-headed lights. Second stage has a small
round-headed light to each face above weatherings of the central pilasters
that terminate at this point. Third stage has a pair of round-headed belfry-
openings to each of four recessed panels. Above each panel is a row of nine
corbels, the centre one supported on a wall-shaft. The fourth stage is plain
apart from central water spouts just below the final string which defines C14
- C15 embattled top. Bell-ringers' entry through C18 triangular-headed
doorway to east of south side. Nave: large buttress to south-west corner;
C14 south-west window of two lights with trefoiled heads, two restored
similar windows to east of porch. North aisle: square headed 2-light
windows with cinquefoil heads, two facing north and one west. Between
the first two is a blocked north door with simple imposts and heavy roll-
moulding. North transept: a large north 3-light trefoil headed window with
heavily cusped tracery. Two similarly designed but taller 2-light windows
face east and west. Chancel: c1900 east window is similar to north window
of north transept; north side has blocked triangular headed door and a small
lancet in a chamfered openings; south-east window has two trefoil headed
lights with vertical mullions above like those in north transept, to its
left are three trefoil headed lancets and a triangular headed priests' door.
South porch: moulded entrance of four orders with small paterae on the imposts
beneath a label with a keystone in the form of a female face. Two side
windows are single lights with trefoiled heads and spandrels under square
heads. Roof of two trussed bays, two king-posts, moulded ogee tie-beams,
cusped collars, trefoil headed wind-braces and longitudinal arch braces.
C12 south doorway has fluted imposts, two roll mouldings to semi-circular
head and to jambs. Interior: open wagon roof to nave; ceiled to chancel.
The restored C15 nave roof has brattished tie-beams betwen the chancel arch
and tower arch containing arch-braced collars with intermittent cusped
raking struts; wall-plates are also brattished. Chancel ceiling is late C19.
North aisle has six bays of cusped restored C15 (?) wind-braces rising from
oak corbels, several of which are heads. North transept: wagon roof heavily
restored though retaining some C15 (?) bosses at junction of rafters and arch
braces. Nave: three octagonal columns separate north transept, 2-centred
C12 tower arch of two orders with scalloped capitals; chancel arch of two
semi-circular headed orders; rood loft opening to north side of chancel
arch under triangular head with adjacent light for varnished newel stairs.
Blocked C12 light to west of porch. West face of north-east respond has
small trefoil head niche. Chancel: south-east window has C15 stained glass
in its tracery; fragments of black-letter C15 script and a haloed male head.
C13 piscina in east wall has circular drain supported on an asymmetrically
designed corbel. Also in the east wall, monument to Sir Herbert Perrot
died 1683, with aedicule comprising broken pediment supported by barley-
sugar columns. Two-centred arched recess probably for a tomb in north
wall. C15 oak credence with ogee head in south wall. Pulpit in early C17
style, probably largely c1900. C14 font with octagonal bowl on octagonal
stem and base. Wall monument to Ann Meats, died 1830, situated beneath
rood opening is unusual in having a large signature "Richard Yeomans Bod"
(ie Bodenham ?); gilded obelisk plaque above bird holding a laurel in its
beak. The tower has most unusual features: BoE, p 309; RCHM, Vol II, p 200.
Listing NGR: SO4972048210
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.