Description: Church of St John the Baptist
Date Listed: 25 February 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 154303
OS Grid Reference: SO5589128836
OS Grid Coordinates: 355891, 228836
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9563, -2.6433
There is also a scheduled monument, Caple Tump, a Motte Castle 175m South West of Caple Court, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
KINGS CAPLE CP KINGS CAPLE
SO 52 NE
3/44 Church of St John
Parish church. C13 nave; west tower early C14; chancel rebuilt and top
stage of tower added late C14, Aramstone chapel and south porch c1400.
Restored 1894 and further C20 alterations to interior. Sandstone rubble,
ashlar dressings, slate roofs. West tower, nave with south porch and north
Aramstone chapel, chancel. West tower: four stages with moulded string
courses and plain band with square corbels below between third stage and
later fourth stage, embattled parapet, octagonal spire with roll mouldings
at angles; small doorway with 2-centred arched head to ground stage, square-
headed loop vents to second and third stage, two trefoil-headed lights and
tracery to bell stage. Nave: two trefoil-headed lights with further decorative
cusping in spandrels to window to left, three windows to right; two cinquefoil-
headed lights to western window, two trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil to
central window and large window with gable and three trefoil-headed lights and
tracery, all to right of south porch: moulded plinth and moulded parapet,
square-headed surround to doorway with decorative spandrels, 2-centred arched
head to opening with moulded jambs, vaulted ceiling with diagonal and ridge
ribs, and carved rose central boss, two trefoil-headed lights to returns.
Chancel: two trefoil-headed lights to left and two cinquefoil-headed lights
to right of doorway. Interior: renewed roof to nave and chancel. Aramstone
chapel with vaulted ceiling, diagonal and ridge ribs springing from moulded
corbels,. and bosses largely restored; chancel arch: two chamfered orders
with square cut plain imposts to inner orders. Fittings: C18 gallery at west
end now enclosed on ground floor by C20 wall, panelled front, staircase with
moulded rail, square newels and turned balusters. C17 pulpit, four-sided with
decorative panels; sounding board. Monuments: recess in south wall of nave,
with traces of ballflower ornament and late C13 coffin slab in recess. In
Aramstone chapel Thomas Marrett, 1725, wall tablet, marble fluted Doric
pilasters flank inscription panel with Doric entablature surmounted by car-
touche; many other monuments commemorating members of Woodhouse family.
(RCHM, Vol II , p 95-96; BoE, p 204).
Listing NGR: SO5589128843
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.