British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Bartholomew, Thruxton

Description: Church of St Bartholomew

Grade: I
Date Listed: 26 January 1962
English Heritage Building ID: 155129

OS Grid Reference: SO4371434624
OS Grid Coordinates: 343714, 234624
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0072, -2.8214

Location: B4348, Thruxton, County of Herefordshire HR2 9AX

Locality: Thruxton
County: Herefordshire
Country: England
Postcode: HR2 9AX

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

There is also a scheduled monument, Thruxton Tump, a Motte Castle at Thruxton Court, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.

Listing Text


6/76 Church of St Bartholomew



Parish church. C14, restored 1866. Coursed sandstone rubble, sandstone
dressings, tiled roofs; timber-framed porch with stone slate roof. West
tower, two-bay nave, one-bay chancel and south porch. Tower is embattled
with three stages undivided externally; top stage has two trefoiled ogee
lights with quatrefoil tracery under a 2-centred head to each cardinal
face; west wall has a square-headed loop to second stage and a narrower
one to the ground stage. Nave has 2-light trefoiled ogee window with
quatrefoil tracery and no label to west end of north wall to the east of
which is a 4-centred C15 blocked north doorway with chamfered jambs and
another trefoiled 2-light window without ogees under a 2-centred label;
the west window of the south side is similar to the one opposite, beyond
the porch the east window is a 2-light trefoiled ogee window with inverted
ogee tracery under a square head. Chancel has traceried trefoiled and ogeed
3-light window with a 2-centred head, separating the north and south walls
from the nave is one buttress with offsets to each side; the north window
has two lights, each trefoiled and ogeed with a quatrefoil above, 2-centred
head on label; south window is chamfered with a 2-centred head and two recessed
trefoiled and ogeed lights under quatrefoil tracery; to the west of the window
is a blocked priests' door with chamfered jambs and a 4-centred head. Chamfered
plinth to nave, chancel and south wall of tower; east verges of nave and chancel
each carry crosses. Porch is partly restored, sandstone plinth, two bays,
jowled corner posts (the front ones having scotches) carry cambered and chamfered
ties supported by arch-braces, scalloped bargeboards formed by two subsidiary
cusps to each lobe of main trefoil; trefoiled wind-braces to each bay beneath
single purlins; restored wall-plates and five-bay side-panels open at the top.
South doorway has 2-centred head and chamfered jambs running down to pyramidical
stops above chamfered plinth; restored C17 studded ledged door with strap hinges,
circular escutcheon plate and handle. Interior: rear arch of south doorway has
segmental head; C14 wagon roofs, that of nave with straight braces supporting
collars and scissor-struts continuing the line of the braces above the collars;
that of chancel without scissor-struts but with curved braces to collars;
chancel has two re-tooled corbelled brackets, one to each side of east wall
but at different levels; east window has stained glass depicting The Good
BY BEQUEST OF: HIS WIDOW: MDCCCLXV"; C14 stained glass in south window, mainly
fragments but tracery light of Crucifixion has green cross, brown loin cloth,
vine-leaf ground and margin with red beads; late C19 or early C20 harmonium
labelled "Chancel Organ"; chancel arch is 2-centred and has continuous double
chamfers to east and west. Nave has font in square to octagonal chamfered base
with inscription: "BAPTISMUS EST ABLVTIO PECCATORUM", octagonal stem with
moulded necking supporting octagonal bowl with curved bottom bearing another
inscription: "THIS: FONT: WAS: MADE: MARC (sic): THE: 16TH: 1677"; consecra-
tion cross set in round panel in soffit of top of blocked north doorway;
mutilated stoup to east of south doorway; coffin-lid with incised cross re-
used as lintol of east window in south wall of nave; mid-C19 stove near
south door with raised lettering: "SMITH & WELLSTOOD LTD/ COLUMBIAN/ STOVE WORKS/
BONNY BRIDGE/ SCOTLAND". Tower has east doorway with 2-centred head and
chamfered jambs running down to pyramidical stops, above is a recess or
blocked opening with a flatter 2-centred head with chamfers dying into the
jambs; under the tower are several wall monuments viz: Richard Davies, died
1797; Chrysogen Vaughan, died 1789; Hugh Russell, died 1722; Aristarcus
Merrick, died 1794 by J Prichd; early C19 Benefactions board; C17 communion
table with moulded rails and stretchers and chamfered legs. Two drawings
in nave of the church before restoration, the first near the south door,
"Thruxton Church Interior/ July 26 1865/ copied from a sketch done on the
last day of its/ existence by the Rev E Jacson" shows early C18 communion
rails to altar and two wall monuments, one recognisably now in tower, on
east wall of chancel, box pews, two-decker pulpit and stove (see above) in
centre of nave with chimney pipe crossing the nave and going through the head
of the tracery of the east Window of the south side of the nave; the second
near the tower doorway has a similar inscription but shows the west end of
the church with the former west gallery and a large detail of one of its cast
iron supporting pillars. The Rev Jacson did not long survive the restoration
of the church, his brass memorial plaque on the north wall of the nave reads:


This modest medieval church is graded I for its generally unrestored appear-
ance and surviving medieval roofs to nave and chancel. (RCHM Vol I, p 237-8).

Listing NGR: SO4371334627

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.