Christ Church, Llanwarne
Description: Christ Church
Date Listed: 30 April 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 155198
OS Grid Reference: SO5054428127
OS Grid Coordinates: 350544, 228127
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9494, -2.7210
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
LLANWARNE CP -
SO 52 NW
3/42 Christ Church
Parish church. 1864 by Messrs Elmslie (BoE). Coursed red sandstone,, lime-
stone dressings and spire, tiled roofs. Cruciform plan with two-bay nave,
north porch and south vestry off polygonal chancel; Geometrical style.
Chancel has single buttresses and 2-light traceried windows with 2-centred
heads and labels with head stops. Vestry has shouldered jambs to doorway
on east side; a 2-light mullioned window with undulating soffit under a
square head to south and a stack in its north-west corner, cellar doorway
on south side has triangular head. South transept has two lancets with
trefoiled tracery, labels and stops beneath a large rose window containing
three large and three small trefoils. Nave has almost triangular headed
windows of three trefoiled lights to north and south and a large 2-centred
3-light west window above which is a quatrefoil gable light. North porch
has a crocketted gable hood over a deeply moulded 2-centred arch supported
by a pair of attached columns with foliated capitals; above is an open
octagonal belfry with moulded strings to top and bottom and trefoiled tracery
in 2-centred labelled openings to each face, griffons sit on the string which
divides the belfry from its spire; the bottom of the spire is splayed and near
the top are lucarnes to the cardinal points. North transept has a 3-light
window and similar windows but of two lights to east and west. North doorway
has moulded 2-centred head and attached columns; to north and south within
the porch are single lancets whilst above are four cushion-shaped corbels
probably for an unexecuted stone vault; the ceiling above is boarded in
softwood. Interior: the roof of the nave is divided into four structural
bays, two with collared arch brace scissor trusses rising from corbels below
wall-plates. Chancel roof has overlapping angle struts; 2-centred moulded
chancel arch, with foliated label stops, rests on two heavy capitals with
detached columns supported on corbels. North-east, east and south-east
windows of the Nativity, Crucifixion and Resurrection are in memory of
Walter Baskerville Mynors, Rector 1855-96. South transept contains a
pipe organ by "Eustace Ingram, London NW, 1882". Mid-C19 pulpit is sandstone,
part octagonal with six marble columns supporting marble rail. Two wall
monuments to James and Rev Ralph Lochey, died 1822 and 1833, in the north
transept, were removed from the former Church of St John The Baptist (qv).
Nave has two south windows filled with Flemish or German C16 stained glass
medallions; a cracked medieval bell with "Missi de celis, habes nomen Gabrielis"
in Lombardic lettering; C17 font has hemispherical bowl with four acanthus
leaves rising from the bottom andcyclindrical stem with swags on moulded
circular base; mid-C17 chest, two front panels and end panels decorated with
semi-circular motifs; mid-C19 font has square base, moulded cyclindrical stem
and cylindrical bowl. (RCHM Vol I, p 178; BoE p 301).
Listing NGR: SO5054928127
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.