British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Weonard, St Weonards

Description: Church of St Weonard

Grade: I
Date Listed: 30 April 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 155237

OS Grid Reference: SO4961024333
OS Grid Coordinates: 349610, 224333
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9152, -2.7340

Location: Mt Way, St Weonards, County of Herefordshire HR2 8NU

Locality: St Weonards
County: Herefordshire
Country: England
Postcode: HR2 8NU

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

There is also a scheduled monument, St Weonard's Tump, a Motte Castle in St Weonard's Village, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.

Listing Text

SO 42 SE

5/80 Church of St Weonard


Parish church. C13 nave, C16 west tower, south porch, north chapel and
north aisle, largely late C19 chancel, restored in 1875 and 1884 when the
chancel was extended and vestry added. Square sandstone rubble, sandstone
ashlar and stone slate roofs. West tower, three-bay nave, continuous north
aisle and north chapel, chancel, south vestry and south porch. West tower
has embattled parapet, moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses with offsets,
three stages each slightly recessed, above dividing moulded strings; first
stage has entirely restored C16 style west window of four ogeed cinquefoiled
lights set in deep concave reveal under a 2-centred head with label; square-
head loop to south side; water-spout to north side (set beneath one at parapet
level); second stage has a central chamfered lancet to each cardinal face
just above the lower string; top stage has Y-tracery to each of the four
belfry openings and waterspouts projecting from the upper strings to the
east-centre of the north and south sides and north-centre of the west side.
Nave has raised south wall, a C13 trefoiled single light to each side of
the south porch and a 2-light late C19 cinquefoiled window with a label
next to the east side. Vestry: gable towards the south contains a 3-light
cinquefoiled window with label and 4-centred head; 2-light ogeed trefoiled
window under a square head to west; south doorway to vestry passage has 2-
centred chamfered head, the passage being lit from the east by a 3-light
window under a 4-centred head. Chancel has south window of two cinquefoiled
ogeed lights under a square head; C16 east window is re-set and has three
cinquefoiled lights under a round head with label; the C16 north window is
square-headed with two cinquefoiled lights and ball-flower decoration to
the lintol. North chapel has 4-light cinquefoiled ogeed east window under
a round head with drops to chamfer stops and quatrefoil patterns to each
label stop, a feature repeated in two other openings of the north aisle;
north wall of north chapel and aisle has from east to west: a 3-light
cinquefoiled window under a square head, a similar window but of four
lights, north doorway with 4-centred head above which are incised mouldings,
a label with quatrefoiled stops and hollow chamfered jambs; a 2-light restored
ogeed window with ball-flowers on the lintol, obviously copied from the re-
used (?) lintol in the chancel; west window is similar to the east window of
the chapel but of three lights and less round-headed. South porch has
diagonal buttresses, a chamfered 2-centred outer arch; two trefoiled ogeed
lights with square heads, one to each return wall, and pegged collar-rafter
roof trusses; south doorway has chamfered jambs and an almost triangular
head above which is a small trefoiled niche. Interior: nave roof is C19
with corbelled ties, arch-braces and collars with central struts above;
north chapel and aisle have continuous C16 ceiled barrel roof with moulded
ribs between moulded wall-plates dividing the ceiling into squares; chancel
has C19 wagon roof. Chapel arch is 2-centred with two orders, the inner
rounded and the outer chamfered. Four-bay nave arcade has octagonal piers
and part octagonal responds supporting 2-centred chamfered arches. Early
C16 chancel screen has linenfold panels beneath each of two open bays to
either side of the restored central entrance with running vine frieze to
top rail; similar screens divide the north chapel from south and west,
the latter having C14 linenfold panels to its dado. Chancel has trefoiled
piscina with 2-centred head, late C17 altar rails and a C17 chair with
characteristic arched ornament. North chapel has C17 benches, a dug-
out chest with heavy hinges and two lids, a cinquefoil-headed piscina
without a drain to the south-east, C13 slab with cross-in-circle and
a chalice; east window has stained glass depicting the Crucifixion
restored in 1875 in memory of Peter Rickards Mynors of Treago (qv).
Several wall monuments to the Mynors including brass on side of arch into
chancel to Roger Mynors, dated 1684, and their hatchment, praying C16 figure
above cinquefoiled niche in north wall at junction of south aisle and chapel.
Pulpit is C17, partly restored and seven-parts-octagonal. Font is C15 con-
sisting of octagonal bowl with quatrefoils to each face on octagonal stem
and square, probably C19, plinth. West tower: tower arch has jambs with
recessed pyramidical chamfer stops at the bottom. South-west doorway to
newel has 4-centred head, beneath a square lintol with acanthus and bestial
decoration in the spandrels. Royal arms over south door of nave on panel
with Semper Eadem. (RCHM Vol I, p 227 - 30).

Listing NGR: SO4960824335

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.