If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of St Michael, Dewsall

Description: Church of St Michael

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 26 January 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 155348

OS Grid Reference: SO4861733492
OS Grid Coordinates: 348617, 233492
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9975, -2.7498

Location: Dewsall, County of Herefordshire HR2 8DA

Locality: Dewsall
County: Herefordshire
Country: England
Postcode: HR2 8DA

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


There is also a scheduled monument, Churchyard Cross in St Michael's Churchyard, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.

Listing Text

DEWSALL CP -
SO 43 SE
6/48 Church of St Michael
26.1.67
- II *

Parish church. C14 with earlier, probably C12 elements; extensively restored
1868. Coursed sandstone rubble, sandstone dressings and weatherboards with
Welsh slate and shingle roofs. Almost continuous two-bay nave and one-bay
chancel. Western bell-turret and south porch. Bell-turret, largley C19,
within west wall of nave has weatherboarded and shingled sides. Twin bell
openings to each side, except the east. Broach spire with shingles and
weather cock. West elevation has weathered buttresses to each side and a
central blocked chamfered doorway with a 2-centred head. North elevation
of nave has two pairs of 2-light windows with ogeed and trefoiled heads.
To the right-hand side is a weathered buttress beneath the north-east corner
of the bell-turret. Chancel has no windows to north elevation and the roof
line is slightly lower than that of the nave. East window has two restored
ogeed and trefoil-headed lights similar to those of nave. South elevation
has two more pairs of ogeed and trefoil-headed lights, one to the chancel
and one to the nave, the latter relatively unrestored. Between them is a
square-headed blocked window and a chamfered blocked priest's door with a
round almost 2-centred head. Weathered buttresses to left of south porch
and to right-hand corner of chancel. South porch is probably C14 and little
restored. Two bays. Four corner posts carry curved angle struts to cambered
ties and straight struts to wall-plates. The front struts form a 2-centred
arch with a projection from the tie at the apex. Trusses have relatively
straight collars and two pairs of curved wind-braces to lower part of each
roof slope. Side walls are on C20 plinth above which are restored boarded
panels and openings divided by three studs on each side. C19 oak two-leaved
gates each have three open hexagons to top and curved braces to bottom. South
doorway, possibly C12 or C13 has semi-circular head and is continuously
chamfered. Interior has plastered elliptical ceiling. At junction of nave
and chancel are C19 curved struts forming a large trefoil head with pendants,
the lower parts supported on a pair of corbels. In the nave is the bottom of
a C19 king-post rising from a tie beneath the ceiling. Another tie supports
the east end of the bell-turret. C19 wall plates are lightly moulded.
Chancel has stained glass in east window showing the Marys and Angels at
the sepulchre after The Resurrection, for Walter Morris, died 1882, his wife
Dorothea, died 1864, and their son, Walter, died 1888. On the north wall is
a slate and marble monument for Ann Skyrme, died 1835, in the form of a
pedimented aedicule with scrolled frieze and acroteria. On the south wall
is a marble plaque for Thomas and Emma Phillips, children of the then rector,
who died aged 11 and 9 of scarlet fever in 1853. Nearby another plaque, for
Benjamin, died 1849, another child of the same rector, Thomas Phillips and
his wife Penelope. The inscription reads: "May our Eternal Almighty and
Merciful GOD/ accept and receive him". Brass collection plate, c1900 with
respousse lettering on the margin: "The.Lord.loveth.a.cheerful.giver".
Communion table is early C17 of oak with turned legs and lower rails at floor
level. The top is restored. C17 bench is oak with turned legs and grooved
rails. Late C19 mahogany harmonium by Esley Organ Co, Brattleboro, Vt., USA
has crested ends and long fluted candlesticks rising from base to above manual.
Bench for harmonium is probably contemporary. It has a cast iron frame with
a mahogany plinth to the seat. The frame has scrolled ends linked by a long
cyclindrical rail with central radiating finials. Nave has C14 font with
octagonal shaft stopped to square base and circular bowl, the underside of
which is octagonal. Four of the faces of the underside each have a large
ball flower. On the west wall a freestone wall monument partly painted black
for William Skyrme, died 1804, with obelisks flanking a central column support-
ing an urn. Adjacent is a black monument for Joyce Skyrme, died 1794, with a
weeper in base-relief resting on an urn and the inscription, "When such friends
part, tis the survivor dies". Beneath are several floor slabs mainly mid-C17
to early C18. On the north wall a black and white marble monument with small
pediment for William Mayos, died 1826. On the opposite wall another similar
for John Mayos, died 1826. Late C19 pine part-octagonal pulpit with integral
bookrest which is adjustable for height by an internal screw and has two rows
of square-set quatrefoil panels. Late C19 oak lectern has shaft enriched by
tabernacles and book-wedge decorated with openwork panels to front, corner
finials and cresting. (BoE, p 110; RCHM, Vol I, p 52-3).


Listing NGR: SO4861733492

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.