Church of St John the Baptist, Aston Ingham
Description: Church of St John the Baptist
Date Listed: 17 March 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 155415
OS Grid Reference: SO6836223567
OS Grid Coordinates: 368362, 223567
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9097, -2.4613
Location: B4222, Aston Ingham, County of Herefordshire HR9 7LS
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
ASTON INGHAM CP B 4222
SO 62 SE
6/4 Church of St John
Church. Largely rebuilt 1891 by Nicholson and Son, with C13 remains and
C16 tower. Sandstone, rock-faced except for west wall of random rubble.
Slate roof. Comprises a west tower, nave, lower chancel, and west porch.
The west window is of three trefoiled lights with flat head. The tower is
built within the nave and rises from the west wall. It has a pyramid roof
and two string courses. The upper stage has louvred bell openings with plain
reveals. Below are loop openings on each side. In the north wall of the nave
are two windows each of two cusped ogee lights under a pointed head with
reticulated tracery. Between them is a blocked chamfered pointed doorway,
possibly C13. At the right is a lancet window. The south nave wall has two
windows of two lights, similar to those to the north. To the west of the
porch is a lancet window. The porch is gabled and has a moulded pointed
doorway. The inner doorway appears to be re-set and re-cut, and includes a
keel-roll moulding. The chancel has two lancets in the north wall. The
south wall has a window of one trefoiled ogee light to the right of a restored
moulded pointed doorway, which is possibly C13. The east window is of three
lights with Geometrical tracery. Both nave and chancel have gable copings
with cross finials. Interior: the nave roof is boarded, of elliptical section
with ribs and carved bosses. The chancel arch is C13, was raised and re-set in
C19 and has semi-octagonal responds. The arch is pointed and chamfered in two
orders. The voussoirs may be C12 and re-used. Set into the east wall are two
worn coffin lids with effigies. The lead font is inscribed "WR", "WM" and
"1689", with other relief decoration. It is set on a sandstone base which
incorporates a C13 capital. A wall tablet to John Howell (died 1750) is re-
set in the south nave wall. The chancel windows contain glass of early C20
date. A south nave window contains glass by Powell, dated 1890 (RCHM, p 5).
Listing NGR: SO6836223567
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.