Church of St Mary, Kentchurch
Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 20 May 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 155544
OS Grid Reference: SO4194625651
OS Grid Coordinates: 341946, 225651
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9263, -2.8456
Location: Kentchurch, County of Herefordshire HR2 0DA
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
KENTCHURCH CP -
SO 42 NW
5/10 Church of St Mary
Parish church. Rebuilt in 1859 in Decorated style. Sandstone rubble
with ashlar dressings; tiled roof. West tower with truncated pyramidal
roof and spire; nave with south porch and chancel with north chapel and
vestry. West tower: three stages with plinth and stepped buttresses,
lancet to second stage, cusped bell openings below spire. Nave with
large 3-light window with two-centred head and flower tracery to
right of gabled porch. Chancel to right with square headed windows
of three and two lights with similar tracery; 3-light windows to east
end with mouchettes. Interior retains the Scudamore monument re-sited
in the north chapel. Commemorates John Scudamore, died 1616, and erected
by his wife, Amy Starkie. Reclining alabaster effigies of man in armour
holding a book and below of a woman in contemporary dress wearing a
widow's veil; flanking the two reclining figures are smaller paired figures
of kneeling children, eight sons and one daughter, and also of an infant
in a cradle. Inscription flanked by shields of arms reads:
"HERE LYETH THE BODY OF JOHN SCVDAMORE OF
KENCHVRCH IN THE COVNTIE OF HEREFORD ESQ .....
.... HE DECEASED ON THE XXXth DAY OF MARCH
ANNO SALVTIS 1616."
Listing NGR: SO4194625651
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.