Church of St John the Baptist, Orcop
Description: Church of St John the Baptist
Date Listed: 26 January 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 155579
OS Grid Reference: SO4738926270
OS Grid Coordinates: 347389, 226270
Latitude/Longitude: 51.9324, -2.7666
Location: Orcop, County of Herefordshire HR2 8ES
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
There is also a scheduled monument, Churchyard Cross in St John the Baptist's Churchyard, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
1565/6/44 Church of St John the Baptist
(Formerly listed as:
CHURCH OF ST MARY)
Parish church. Early C13 nave and north aisle; c1300 chancel; early C16
west tower. The church was extensively restored in 1860 by T Nicholson
which included the addition of the polygonal vestry; church further restored
in 1907. Sandstone rubble with dressed rubble later refacing, ashlar dress-
ings, part timber-framed west tower with timber cladding; Welsh slate roofs.
West tower; two stages with lower stage cased in stone during period of
restoration; truncated pyramidal roof surmounted by louvred bell stage and
short spire. Nave: two square headed windows with two trefoil ogee headed
lights (probably of C19 restoration) to right of gabled C19 timber-framed
porch and C19 doorway. The north wall of the north aisle has one C13 lancet
to the west and one C19 lancet to the east. The chancel has one restored
single lancet to the left and a pair of similar lancets to the right. A
single trefoil headed light of c1300 on the north side is partially obscured
by the C19 vestry. C19 east window of three lights. Interior: west tower;
timber structure of tower is revealed to the interior, supported on massive
posts with scissor braces to north and south and diagonal braces to the east
arched over the tower arch. Early C16 arched braced collar to roof of nave.
Low arcade of three bays to north aisle with circular piers and moulded
capitals and bases, 2-centred arches of two chamfered orders, all much
retooled. Re-used C12 piscina in chancel with top of scalloped pillar,
square drain. (RCHM, Vol I, p 208; BoE,-p 264-265).
Listing NGR: SO4738926270
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.