If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Harvington Hall and Attached East Bridge, Chaddesley Corbett

Description: Harvington Hall and Attached East Bridge

Grade: I
Date Listed: 25 February 1958
English Heritage Building ID: 157015

OS Grid Reference: SO8775374435
OS Grid Coordinates: 387753, 274435
Latitude/Longitude: 52.3678, -2.1813

Location: Harvington Hall Lane, Chaddesley Corbett, Worcestershire DY10 4LH

Locality: Chaddesley Corbett
Local Authority: Wyre Forest District Council
County: Worcestershire
Country: England
Postcode: DY10 4LH

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


There is also a scheduled monument, Moated Site, Fishponds and Quarries at Harvington Hall, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.

Explore more of the area around Chaddesley Corbett, Worcestershire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

CHADDESLEY CORBETT CP HARVINGTON
SO 87 SE
10/28 Harvington Hall and
attached east bridge
25.2.58
GV I
Country house and bridge. Probably C14, substantially remodelled late C16/ early
C17, partly demolished c1701 with some remodelling, restored 1930. Brick
with stone dressings, incorporating timber-framing; tile roof. Basically
an L-plan, one limb extending to north, the other to west. The north limb
contains a medieval timber-framed range of four bays, with north tower
of C17 date, at south end a late C16 to early C17 block. The range to west
is late C16 to early C17 comprising a first floor "banqueting hall", with
kitchen to south-west corner, main staircase to north-west; a hall probably
extended northwards from the staircase, demolished c1701. Entrance (east)
front: two-storey range to centre, three-storey blocks to each corner,
that to left with attic. Left-hand block: a 4-light stone mullioned window
to each floor, gable to attic, stack with two diamond-plan shafts to left.
Central block: five windows, three 2-light casements alternate with two 4-
light casements under gablets; similar pattern on ground floor, save large
window to right of centre which is the entrance, with two large doors
(approached by east bridge). Right-hand block: a 3-light casement to each
floor under timber lintels; to left-hand side windows at half level for
staircase, including an oval window. On ground floor a boxed glazing bar
sash under segmental head. Detailing of rest of building similar to left-
hand block, save elevation to courtyard of west limb which is ashlared
where the probable hall range stood, dated by "1701" on rainwater head.
Interior: extensive traces of an ambitious scheme of wall painting of late
C16 to early C17, including the Nine Worthies in a second floor passage.
The main staircase is a 1930s replica of the original, which was removed
to Coughton Court, Warwickshire. In the banqueting hall there are remnants
of later C17 panelling with elaborate painted decoration. The house contains
one of the best known collections of priests' hiding holes; in particular,
one contrived under the main staircase, entered via hinged steps; and that
in Dr Dod's Library, entered via a hole, created by swinging a stud.
East Bridge: a single segmental brick arch supports the plain ashlar parapets.
The island on which the house stands [along with the Malt House (qv) and the
chapel (qv)] is surrounded by a water-filled moat. Scheduled as an Ancient
Monument. (BoE, p 192-194; Hodgkinson, H R: "Recent Discoveries at Harvington
Hall, Chaddesley Corbett", Transactions of the Birmingham and Warwickshire
Archaeological Society, Vol 62 for 1938 (1943), pp 1 - 26; Hodgetts, M:
"Elizabethan Priest Holes: IV - Harvington", Recusant History, Vol 13 (1975),
p 18 - 55; Hussey, C & Hodgetts, M: Harvington Hall near Kidderminster,
Worcestershire, (1981); Hodgetts, M: "Harvington Hall 1929 - 1979: A Study
in Local Historiography", Worcestershire Recusant, Vol 37 (1981), pp 3 - 25).


Listing NGR: SO8775374435

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.