If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Priory Remains (Now Part of the New School) and Attached Buildings
Date Listed: 22 October 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 157690
OS Grid Reference: TL0647702700
OS Grid Coordinates: 506477, 202700
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7129, -0.4602
There is also a scheduled monument, Royal Palace (site of), at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Kings Langley, Hertfordshire at Explore Britain.
KINGS LANGLEY LANGLEY HILL
TL 00 SE (West side)
7/159 Priory Remains (now part
22.10.52 of The New School) and
Buildings and walls of former Dominican Friary with attached buildings.
C14 (Friary founded by Edward II c.1308), C18 extensions to N range,
extensions to W range after c.1910 for the former Priory School. Now all
in domestic use with a chapel on the 1st floor of W range. W range and
wall extending to S of flint with stone dressings. N range of plastered
flint with stone dressings to lower floor but timber framed jettied
upper floor with white plastered infill panels on N side. Steep old red
tile roofs. Red brick C18 rebuilt E front and S extension of N range and
2 timber framed dark weatherboarded extensions with tiled roofs and bell
turret at its W end linking to W range. SE extension of W range
roughcast with stone mullioned windows and red tile roof. NE extension
to W range roughcast with jetty and hipped tiled roof. The c.1910
extensions on S side of N range have a formerly open 3-bay gallery of
timber with alpine style cusped vertical boards as balustrade over a
timber framed ground floor with 3 cross-windows below a continuously
glazed band, with a red brick base and brick panels between windows. An
L-shaped group generally of 2 storeys with later buildings linking 2
separate medieval buildings. (1) A long narrow building in the W range
formerly called King John's Bakehouse with evidence for early doors or
windows on all sides but possibly having a range formerly running
eastwards from S end of its E side. A wall divides the building near the
middle and the ground floor of the N part is arcaded on the W with 3
large depressed C14 arches with plain splays dying against the sides of
buttresses (C20 cusped stone tracery inserted). There is a diagonal
buttress at NW corner but a pair of corner buttresses at SW. Since the
survey for VCH in 1908 blocked windows have been opened and some
matching windows inserted on W 1st floor over the 1st and 2nd arches
from the N. These light the chapel with limewashed flint walls and 3-bay
crown-post roof with chamfered cambered tie-beams, chamfered cornice
along walls, chamfered square crown-posts with heavy curved braces to
collar purlin. Same roof continues over S half of building. (2) A long
narrow building in N range called The Gatehouse with a large blocked
stone archway, continuously moulded, off centre in the masonry of the
tall lower storey of the N side. A parallel thick wall is pierced by the
doorway between parlour and study in the C18 house formed at the E end
of this range. The timber framed 1st floor jettied on bullnosed joists
on the N may have also been jettied on the S. Large panelling with
curved tension bracing and flush mullioned leaded windows. Interior has
arched braces to tie-beams of crown-post roof with braces to collar
purlin. C18 house has asymmetrical E front 2 storeys, 2 windows and
heavy framed boarded door in middle. Tall 2-light casement windows.
Large external gable chimney. Good panelled early C18 rooms on ground
floor. Medieval framing exposed inside. Stone quoins at NE angle. The
land surrounding the building is a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
(VCH(1908)238-40: RCHM(1911)134 no.2: Pevsner(1977)217).
Listing NGR: TL0647702700
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.