If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Kings John's Farm, Penn Cottage, Penn Farm and Garden Wall
Date Listed: 19 May 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 158726
OS Grid Reference: TQ0271295321
OS Grid Coordinates: 502712, 195321
Latitude/Longitude: 51.6473, -0.5169
Explore more of the area around Chorleywood, Hertfordshire at Explore Britain.
TQ 09 NW CHORLEYWOOD BERRY LANE
5/85 King John's Farm,
19.5.50 Penn Cottage, Penn
Farm and Garden Wall
Large house, now 3 dwellings. Early C16, restored and extended c.1910 by
A. Capell. Timber frame core on a brick base with brick nogging, part
rendered and tile hung. Extended in rendered brick with sham timber
frame applied in a Vernacular Revival Style. Tiled roofs. Originally a
large 3 bay house, wings added at both ends. All 2 storeys. Inner
elevation to enclosed garden was original front. At left end of large
hall bay is original plank door with iron strap hinges, moulded 4
centred head and jambs in moulded squared surround. Flanking c.1910
timber mullion leaded 4 light casements. Exposed frame, posts of large
scantling and close studding. Continuously jettied first floor on a
moulded bressumer, c.1910 1 and 2 light casements, exposed posts, studs
and curved braces, c.1910 applied ornament. At right end of original
building is an original stack with a rebuilt cap. 2 stacks with over-
sailing caps inserted to left. Roof hipped to left over service bays.
Attached at right end is c.1910 entrance and stair block with a wing
projecting forward. Present entrance front or right end is entirely
c.1910. Gabled timber porch with a 4 centred head and Gothic traceried
plank door. First floor 4 light oriel. Roof hipped to front. Wing to
left with leaded light casements, an external stack and hipped roof
adjoins Penn Cottage. To garden this wing is similar with sham timber
framing and gabled dormers. Penn Cottage was formerly a barn or stable
building. C17, extended and altered c.1910 and later. Red brick, largely
English bond, part whitewashed. Rendered brick additions. Tiled roofs. 2
storey gable ended block with c.1910 entrance porch at right end adjoin-
ing King John's Farm. Porch has 1 and 2 light leaded pane casements
flanking door, half hipped roof. In gable end of C17 block a 2 light
window, moulded kneelers, elsewhere 1 and 3 light inserted casements.
Plinth. Ground floor slit in left gable end wall which is rebuilt with
sham timber framing. 1 storey block added to left. Whitewashed to rear.
Attached at left end from garden is Penn Farm, all c.1910. To garden a
jettied first floor, leaded light casements, first floor gabled oriel
with applied ornament. Hipped roof with an extruded end stack with 2
diagonal shafts. Outer or entrance front of Penn Farm has scattered
leaded light casements, sham timber framing on first floor with trefoil
and pargetted ornament. Rear of King John's Farm, on right return from
present entrance, entirely rebuilt c.1910. 4 centred head to plank door,
scattered leaded light casements, first floor part decoratively tilehung,
part sham timber framed, pargetting, plasterwork vine scroll frieze
between storeys. Gabled dormers. Interior: ground floor stop chamfered
binding beam and joists, curved braces, jowled posts, large C18 fire-
place replacing an earlier one. Repositioned early C17 stair in entrance
hall with barley sugar balusters, ball finials to panelled newel posts.
Curved braces to cambered tie beams. Queen struts to collars clasping
purlins, curved windbraces. Attached to left end of Penn Cottage is a
brick wall enclosing front garden. About 2m in height, plinth, later
buttresses, slit opening. W. Penn was married here in 1672. (Country Life
XXXI: Pevsner 1977: RCHM Typescript).
Listing NGR: TQ0271295321
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.