Description: The Bury
Date Listed: 26 July 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 158768
OS Grid Reference: TQ0602994188
OS Grid Coordinates: 506029, 194188
Latitude/Longitude: 51.6365, -0.4693
TQ 0694 SW RICKMANSWORTH BURY LANE
13/125 The Bury
Large house, now health centre. Late C16 origins, main range rebuilt mid
C17, extended late C17 by J. Fotherley, altered C18, restored late C19
by J.S. Gilliatt. Some timber frame, red brick, all roughcast. Tiled
roofs. Originally a double ended hall house, parlour wing to N, service
wing to S. Hall range rebuilt and parlour wing cut back in mid C17. Long
wing added late C17 to form present L-shaped building. 2 storeys and
attics. Loosely symmetrical 10 bay elevation to garden all in 1 plane.
Central and outer gables over 2 windows each. Ground floor: central,
left end of main range and right wing entrances, all glazed doors with
cambered heads. Flanking central bay are pseudo-Venetian tripartite
sashes. Entrance to right of main range blocked and replaced with a 12
pane glazing bar sash, similar windows in wings. First floor sashes,
flanking central bays pseudo-Venetian tripartite, that to right blind,
outer bays on main range tripartite with central raised ogee heads.
Coped parapet links gables. Octagonal lights in gables. C19 ridge
stacks. Large stack with 3 diagonal shafts in central valley of 2 span
roof to left of centre. Left return 2 large external C17 stacks with
brick diapering, offsets, paired diagonally set shafts rebuilt. Added to
right is a 1 bay lower 2 storey outshut with an upper lunette window,
hipped roof. Blocked openings to right return, massive external stack
rising to 2 heads, each with paired diagonally set shafts. Leaded pane
casements. To rear right extends long wing with a 6 bay loggia rebuilt
in C19. Tall round arches with upper timber balcony. Roof hipped to
rear, blocked openings, plat band. Inner or entrance elevation: 6 bays
to main range and parlour wing, gables to centre and right end. C19 door
to entrance in 2nd bay from right. 3 light stained glass light over door
with ogee headed leaded panes. Ground floor canted bay to right with
cambered heads to sashes. To left below central gable a 2 storey canted
bay, 6 and 8 light timber mullion and transom casements with ogee headed
leaded panes, diamond lights in gables. Rear wing has scattered
casements, 2 extruded stacks with paired diagonally set shafts.
Interior: C17 handrails and newel posts re-used in staircase, C17
fireplaces with 4 centred moulded heads and jambs, panelling, clasped
purlin roof. The Bury was the Manor House of Rickmansworth until 1741.
(RCHM Typescript: VCH 1908: Pevsner 1977).
Listing NGR: TQ0602994188
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.