Description: Bircham Cottages
Date Listed: 27 July 1972
English Heritage Building ID: 158852
OS Grid Reference: TQ0286993974
OS Grid Coordinates: 502869, 193974
Latitude/Longitude: 51.6352, -0.5150
RICKMANSWORTH NOTTINGHAM ROAD
TQ 09 SW
8/208 Bircham Cottage
27.7.72 (formerly listed as
Bircham and Little
House, formerly a semi-detached pair. 1846-7 for Chartist Co-operative
Land Company. Stuccoed brick. Welsh slate roof. 2 storey pedimented
central block with slightly recessed 1 storey wings, that to left
raised, 1:2:1, an arrangement not found in other Chartist settlements.
C20 casements. Plinth, a rebated strip separates centre bays. In
pediment a rectangular panel with sides extended downwards, a sign used
throughout O'Connorville. Bargeboards. Entrance in right wing in a porch
on gable end, pedimental surround. Gable to front on raised left wing,
ground floor canted bay addition, first floor sash, dentilled brick
eaves. C20 entrance porch to rear left. Axial ridge stack, stack to rear
of right wing. Interior not inspected. Amongst the best surviving
examples of the houses of O'Connorville founded by Feargus O'Connor,
Chartist leader, as the first settlement under his Land Plan, an
important aftermath of Chartism and precursor of Garden Cities. A school
and 35 cottages were built, each with 2 to 4 acres of land.
(Hertfordshire Past and Present, no.7, p.19, 1967: Pevsner 1977).
Listing NGR: TQ0286993974
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.