British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Stud House, Childwick Bury Stud, St Michael

Description: Stud House, Childwick Bury Stud

Grade: II
Date Listed: 27 September 1984
English Heritage Building ID: 163830

OS Grid Reference: TL1380711326
OS Grid Coordinates: 513807, 211326
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7890, -0.3514

Location: St Albans, Hertfordshire AL3 6JP

Locality: St Michael
Local Authority: St Albans City Council
County: Hertfordshire
Country: England
Postcode: AL3 6JP

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around St Michael, Hertfordshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

The entry for the following building:-

(west side)

5/286 Childwick Hall

- II

shall be amended to read:-


270-1/5/286 (west side)
19/09/78 Stud House, Childwick Bury Stud


Shown on O.S. map as Childwick Hall.
Stud house. Originally a farm house. Rebuilt or reconstructed
as Childwick Hall, circa 1840, but may incorporate earlier
structure. Possibly late C19 alterations for conversion to
stud manager's house for Sir John Blundell Maple M.P.,
prominent race horse owner and breeder, and founder of the
stud. Mid to late C20 alterations for H.J.Joel, with
conversion to separate dwellings for stud owner and stud
groom. Stuccoed brick on west side, red brick with stone
dressings on east side, hipped plain tile roof behind parapets
with decorative cross gablets on east side, three brick
Plan: a long rectangular block on the east side of the Main
Yard of the stud with entrance front facing the yard.
Exterior; two storeys; the west front, mostly concealed by
ivy, has crowning cornice and parapet, the entrance doorway to
left in Gothick style, framed by fluted pilasters and
traceried hood supported on shaped brackets, has traceried
panels on jamb reveals and on door; to right a C20, single
storey, closed entrance porch with clasical details and
doorway with fanlight; on the ground floor to left and between
the doorway and porch irregularly spaced sashes with glazing
bars and on the first floor four large sashes with glazing
bars [3x4 panes]; the west or garden front of five bays with
moulded stone crowning cornice, and stone coped parapets with
triangular cross-gablets above the central and end bays, and
Dutch cross-gablets, each with a small oculus, above the
second and fourth bays; on the ground floor in the central and
end bays tripartite, gothic arched sashes with glazing bars,
each with a wide central sash, all the sashes recessed within
dressed stone frames with mullions and rectangular hoodmoulds,
in the second bay from left a single sash. with similar arched
sash and frame, on the first floor in the central and end bays
tripartite arched sashes and in the second and fourth bays
double sashes, all the sashes of of equal width with glazing
bars, and in stone frames similar to the ground windows.
Interior: not inspected, early C19 features indicated in
History: the property attached to the former Childwick Hall
purchased by Sir John Blundell Maple, circa 1888, and
converted for use as a horse racing stud with the construction
of extensive stable ranges and service buildings. In 1895 in
an issue of the periodical Racing Post it was described as
"one of the most complete and beautifully arranged of its
kind". The stud was purchased from Maple's executors in 1907
by J.B.Joel and in 1940 passed to his son, H.J.Joel. The stud
house and the stable buidings forming the Main Yard have been
maintained to a very high standard without alteration by
successive owners. Since its foundation the stud has been
highly successful in the breeding of thoroughbred horses for
both flat and National Hunt races, with many important
stallions standing at stud including Royal Hamton and Saraband
for Sir John Blundell Maple, and Sunstar, winner of the Derby
of 1911, and Humorist for J.B.Joel, and with brood mares of
outstanding pedigree including Absurdity and Doris.
(Racing Illustrated: Anon.: The Childwick Stud Farm: London:
1895-: 210-214; The British Racehorse: Michael Seth-Smith:
Jack and Solly Joel: London: 1968-: 188-194; Sales Catalogue:
Stutt and Parker, Agents: The Childwick Bury Stud and Hedges
Farm, Hertfordshire: 1992-).


(west side)

5/286 Childwick Hall


House. Circa 1840. Stuccoed front elevation; red brick with
stone dressings on garden elevation. Plain tile hipped roof. 2
storeys. 5 large recessed sash windows. Door on left has Gothic
style traceried panels and reveals. Fluted pilasters. Shaped
brackets and traceried hood. C20 classical porch on right.
Garden elevation has 5 large sash windows with Gothic style stone
surrounds. Pointed arches and square hood moulds. Upper floor
windows alternately 3 and 2 lights, ground floor windows wider
and with broader central lights. Parapet with alternate
triangular and Dutch gables. Stuccoed porch on road elevation.

Listing NGR: TL1380711326

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.