If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of Saint Andrew
Date Listed: 31 January 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 164679
OS Grid Reference: TA0202729726
OS Grid Coordinates: 502027, 429726
Latitude/Longitude: 53.7539, -0.4541
KIRK ELLA CHURCH LANE
TA 02 NW
9/38 Church of Saint Andrew
Church. Very fine early C13 chancel, west tower 1450-54, nave with aisles
and porch and south chancel chapel of c1860. Graduated ashlar to west
tower, squared rubble to nave and chancel - the latter partly rendered.
Ornamental slate roof. 3-stage west tower, 4-bay aisled nave with south
porch, 3-bay chancel with north chapel. West tower: high plinth, diagonal
buttresses. West elevation has pointed door with continuous hollow chamfer
beneath a 3-light pointed window with Perpendicular tracery under hoodmould.
Canopied niche containing a statue of Saint Andrew holding his cross. Angel
with shield supporting a mid-wall pilaster buttress flanked by gargoyles
over the belfry opening. 3-light 4-centred arched belfry openings with
Perpendicular tracery, crenellated parapet with 8 crocketed finials. Nave:
low plinth, buttresses with offsets. 3 pointed 3-light windows with
intersecting cusped tracery and hoodmoulds to east of porch, lancet to west.
Four 3-light square-headed windows with cusped ogee tracery to clerestory.
Pointed door in Early English style to south porch. North aisle: 4 reset
3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery. Chancel: low chamfered plinth,
angle buttresses with offsets. 6 lancets to south elevation: between the
first and the second is a pointed priests' door with continuous narrow
chamfer. Triple-stepped lancet under a C19 quatrefoil to east end. Late
C13 lancets and priests' door, all reset, to north chancel chapel.
Interior: pointed double-chamfered tower arch dying into responds; early C13
north arcade of 4 pointed double-chamfered arches on round abaci,
cylindrical piers, and low moulded bases with spurs. Early C14 south arcade
of 4 pointed double-chamfered arches on octagonal abaci and piers and
triple-stepped bases of unusual design. Early C13 pointed chancel arch on
moulded corbels and plain responds. North and south chancel windows have
pointed double hollow-chamfered rear arches on a moulded impost band: the
triple-stepped east window has slender detached colonettes carrying the rear
arches: stilted to the centre window. C19 2-bay north chancel arcade to the
Sykes mortuary chapel has pointed double-chamfered arches on octagonal
abacus and pier. The remains of an early C14 timber screen fills the western
arch to the chancel north chapel and also the tower arch: in the north
chapel is pointed, moulded, door opening, of 3 filleted orders on nook-
shafts with trefoil mouchettes in roundels to the spandrels, rebated to
take a door. Remnants of this screen in the tower arch largely consist of
reticulated tracery on turned colonnettes over later, plain, panelling.
There is a C19 door to the tower chamber. Dodecagonal font, of plain design
with a dogtooth band, of c1860. This church is remarkable for the large
number of late C18/early C19 monuments; chief among these are the following:
1) Joseph Sykes, died 1805, by John Bacon Junior, north chancel wall: an
inscribed marble tablet to plinth: above that a lunette panel containing
3 small allegorical figures and flanked to right by a figure of Commerce
holding a caduceus and to the left by bales, tools, and a compass: a full-
rigged ship sails away, over the lunette panel, which is crowned by
weighing-scales and a sword. Over all this is Sykes himself, emerging from
his shattered coffin among rocks while over him an angel blows the Last
Trump. This composition is flanked by pilasters capped with burning lamps.
2) 2 early C19 Gothic memorials in the mortuary chapel: each with an
inscription beneath a canopy with crocketed gablet and finial; one of 1826,
the other of 1827. 3) Monument to Mrs Seaman and her 2 daughters in the
tower chamber, erected 1769; 3 portrait medallions hang from carved stone
nails over a drape with an inscription, all framed under a segmental
pediment on black marble Ionic shafts standing on a plinth supported by
consoles. A series of 4 inscribed wall tablets with urns, or portrait
medallions, or coats of arms, line the walls of the tower. More such
monuments, many with sarcophagi over inscribed tablets, are to be seen in
the body of the church. Several are in the Gothic style of c1830. All
these reflect the popularity of the area among wealthy Hull merchant
families of the period.
Listing NGR: TA0202729726
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.