Description: Wauldby Chapel
Date Listed: 3 March 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 164851
OS Grid Reference: SE9689529739
OS Grid Coordinates: 496895, 429739
Latitude/Longitude: 53.7550, -0.5319
SE 92 NE
6/92 Wauldby Chapel
Chapel. 1844, by J L Pearson. Small coursed rubble, freestone dressings,
graduated slate roofs. Gothic revival style. 4-bay nave with south porch
(and formerly west bellcote, now missing), 2-bay chancel with north vestry.
Nave: plinth, sill band, angle buttresses with offsets. 3 lancets with
trefoil heads and hoodmoulds. Stepped eaves. Similar fenestration to
north wall. West elevation: moulded plinth and stepped band beneath 2
lancets with decorated tracery under a running hoodmould: to the gable
is a sexfoil window in a moulded opening beneath a shaped bracket which
formerly supported the bellcote, removed c1980. Coped gables, the west
one with an iron cross finial. Chancel: buttress with gablets, stepped
sill band. Paired lancets with Decorated tracery under running hoodmould.
East end: 3 similar stepped lancets. Coped gable on shaped kneelers.
Interior: very plain with most of the fittings now removed. A polygonal
pulpit reached from the north vestry by a passage with the wall.
Listing NGR: SE9689529739
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.