British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of All Saints, Belton

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: I
Date Listed: 1 March 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 165074

OS Grid Reference: SE7829006336
OS Grid Coordinates: 478290, 406336
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5478, -0.8199

Location: 2 Stocks Hill, Churchtown DN9 1PA

Locality: Belton
County: North Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: DN9 1PA

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text


18/18 Church of All Saints

Parish church. Largely C14-C15, with reused C13 arches to nave arcades and
C14 windows to north aisle. Restorations of 1851 to chancel, including new
east window. C19 reflooring, reseating, reroofing. Limestone ashlar, apart
from rendered west sides of aisles, and clerestory of coursed rubble and
squared blocks, fully rendered to north side, partly rendered to south.
Lead roofs to aisles, north chapel and porch; Welsh slate roofs to nave and
chancel; concrete tile roof to vestry. West tower, 3-bay aisled nave with
south porch, 3-bay chancel with 2-bay north chapel and vestry adjoining
south side. Moulded plinth throughout. 3-stage tower: angle buttresses
with offsets; first stage with pointed 2-light cinquefoiled west window with
hoodmould, head stops and relief carving of shield above, pointed south door
(probably inserted); stepped-in second stage with pointed slit lights to
north and south, recessed panel to west with worn inscription, clockface to
south; third stage with pointed 2-light belfry openings with partly restored
foiled Y tracery, hoodmoulds and head stops; corble table, angle gargoyles,
coped embattled parapet with crocketed angle pinnacles. North aisle:
buttresses between bays with offsets, weathered string course below sill
level with wall stepped-in above; blocked pointed north door with wave-and-
hollow mouldings beneath string course; pointed 3-light windows with
reticulated tracery, one restored; blocked pointed arch to west side with
inserted pointed 2-light window; coped parapet. South aisle: angle
buttresses and buttresses between bays supporting shafts with worn gargoyles
below parapet; 2 pointed 3-light south windows with Perpendicular tracery,
hoodmoulds with carved head and grotesque stops; similar east window with
restored mullions; blocked pointed arch to west side with small inserted
lancet; coped embattled parapet. Porch: pointed wave-and-hollow moulded
outer arch beneath crocketed hoodmould with worn carved angel stops holding
shields, string course above with tablet to centre bearing worn inscription
with names of church wardens, shield and date 1755; moulded string course
with mutilated carved figure to east side, coped embattled gable parapet.
Pointed wave-and-hollow moulded inner arch. Clerestory: 2 pointed 2-light
cinquefoiled north and south windows in moulded reveals, 4-centred-arched
3-light traceried east window above chancel roof; moulded string course,
coped parapet and gable with cross finial. Chancel, north chapel and vestry
have angle buttresses and buttresses between bays with offsets; chancel and
chapel have sill string courses. Chancel: south side has blocked pointed
door, 2 pointed 3-light Perpendicular-traceried windows; large C19 pointed
5-light Perpendicular-traceried east window with moulded reveal: all windows
with crenellated supertransoms. Moulded string course, coped parapet.
North chapel: pointed 3-light north window with restored Perpendicular
tracery; pointed 3-light east window with restored reticulated tracery;
moulded string course, restored coped parapet. Vestry: pointed south door
with wave-and-hollow mouldings, hoodmould; single-light trefoiled ogee south
window with moulded reveal, wrought-iron bars; similar west window, 4-
centred-arch 3-light east window (outer lights blocked), with trefoiled
lights, incised spandrels and wave-moulded reveal; moulded string course
with carved head to west, coped parapet; chimney adjoining chancel with
crenellated octagonal shaft. Interior. Tall nave arcades of C13 pointed
moulded arches with 2 keeled orders, hoodmoulds and head stops to inner
face, roll-moulded soffit, and keeled and wave-moulded orders to outer face
(apart from south-east bay, keeled to both sides), on C14-C15 octagonal
piers with moulded and crenellated capitals and bell-shaped octagonal bases.
Tower doorway with pointed arch of 2 continuous wave-moulded orders in tall
blind arch, full-height of nave, with similar mouldings. Blocked pointed
west arches to aisles with similar mouldings. North aisle has pointed east
arch to north chapel with continuous double chamfer and octagonal bases to
responds, pointed wave-moulded arch to blocked north door, plain corbelled
image bracket to north wall. South aisle has chamfered arch to south door,
mutilated corbelled image bracket with foliate carving to east wall.
Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch dying into jambs. Chancel has 3-bay
arcade to north chapel with pointed arches of 2 wave-moulded orders on
octagonal piers and responds with moulded crenellated capitals and moulded
octagonal bases; 4-centred-arched doorway to vestry of 2 hollow-chamfered
orders with fielded-panelled door; wave-and-hollow-moulded reveal with
broach stops to south-west window; triple sedilia with sub-cusped
cinquefoiled ogee arches with wave-and-hollow mouldings, buttress shafts
with moulded offsets and crenellated frieze above; wave-moulded cinquefoiled
ogee piscina with moulded corbelled bowl. C19 roofs throughout: 6-bay nave
roof with corbelled wall shafts, moulded tie beams with pointed carved
bosses, arch-braced principal rafters; 3-bay chancel roof with corbelled
wall posts, arch braces to moulded tie beams with pendants. Monuments. C15
chest tomb in east bay of chancel arcade with 3 rectangular cusped panels
bearing shields to north and south sides, one shield to south with arms in
relief, the remainder blank. Much worn C14 effigy of Knight in north
chapel, made from a coped stone perhaps of Saxon origin, with head and feet
in ogee reveals, shield and cross motif on top. Small inscribed brass plate
on chancel arcade pier to Elizabeth Taylor of 1728. Black marble floorslabs
in north chapel to Robert Ryther and others of 1693, and to Robert Ryther of
1695, both with incised mantled arms and crest in roundel. Wall tablets in
north chapel: good marble tablet to Katherine Johnson of 1786 by I Fisher of
York, with obelisk base, inscribed oval plaque with guilloche border, frieze
and cartouche below, damaged swag, cornice and draped urn above; 3 tablets
by J Lockwood of Doncaster: to Robert Popplewell Steer of 1826 with guttae,
draped shield and crest, to Maria Lammin of 1822 with ribbed pilasters,
cornice and lamp, to John and Hannah Collinson of 1827-8 with panelled
pilasters, moulded cornice, lamp, crossed trumpet and torch; pedimented
tablet with acroteria to William Johnson of 1831 by Walsh and Dunbar of
Leeds; pedimented tablet to Katherine Collinson of 1836 by E Gaffin of
London, with palm fronds and shield; to William Collinson of 1846 by
T Gaffin of London; plain tablet to John Hilton, clerk, of 1853 by Longley
of Canterbury; pedimented tablet to James and Hariot Lammin of c1853 by
Maile of London. Plain C13 circular bowl font with short cylindrical shaft
and water-holding base on octagonal step. 2 small late medieval stained
glass panels with coats of arms to south-west chancel window; remainder of
stained glass is C19 and C20. The fine chancel south windows have similar
tracery to those in the tower at Saint Augustine's church, Hedon, by Robert
Playser, 1427-37. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England:
Lincolnshire, 1978, pp 188-9. W Read, History of the Isle of Axholme, 1858,
pp 336-41; photographs in NMR.

Listing NGR: SE7828906335

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.