Date Listed: 10 September 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 165196
OS Grid Reference: SE8106600449
OS Grid Coordinates: 481066, 400449
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4945, -0.7795
SE 8000-8100 OWSTON FERRY BAGSBY LANE
21/132 Almshouses Nos 1-6
Almshouses. 1860 for Frances Sandars. Red brick in Flemish bond with
limestone ashlar, blue and yellow brick dressings. Welsh slate roof.
Rectangular on plan, each house with a 2-room front, kitchen wing and yard
to rear. Single storey, 17-bay symmetrical south front with gabled central
and end bays breaking forward. Chamfered plinth. Steps to ashlar entrances
with board doors on wrought-iron strap hinges beneath chamfered 4-centred
arches with carved foliate spandrels in square-headed chamfered reveals.
2- and 3-light ashlar mullioned windows, each light with 3 panes, in
chamfered reveals. Similar 3-light windows to end bays; pair of single-
light windows to central bay. All openings with quoined surrounds. Gabled
bays have flush yellow brick bands at eaves level. Central gable has
lozenge panel bearing arms in relief, and large stone tablet above with
carved spandrels and a segmental-headed panel inscribed:
dedicated these houses to
Almighty God for ever
For the benefit of Aged females
End gables each have a pair of octagonal ashlar panels beneath blue brick
crosses. Coped gables with shaped kneelers throughout, the central gable
with a good carved figure finial of a seated old woman in bonnet and apron,
reading; pointed carved finials to end bays. Steeply pitched roof with
banded plain and octagonal fish-scale slates. Corniced end stacks and ridge
stacks with pointed recessed yellow brick panels to front. Stacks have
alternating louvred cylindrical and crenellated octagonal pots. Still in
use as almshouses. Built on a raised platform overlooking open fields, with
a ha-ha around south and east sides faced with squared rock-faced limestone.
Frances Sandars, a local benefactor, also provided the Market Place Lamp
(qv), the churchyard archway (qv) and many gifts to the church. W Read, The
History of the Isle of Axholme, 1858, pp 303-4, p 396.
Listing NGR: SE8106600449
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.