British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of All Saints, Garthorpe and Fockerby

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: I
Date Listed: 14 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 165409

OS Grid Reference: SE8439521003
OS Grid Coordinates: 484395, 421003
Latitude/Longitude: 53.6787, -0.7238

Location: Manor Road, Goole DN14 8HX

Locality: Garthorpe and Fockerby
County: North Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: DN14 8HX

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

(north side)
1/26 Church of All Saints
(formerly listed under
14.2.67 Adlingfleet Parish)


Parish church. Largely mid C13, with reset C12 north and south doors, C15
south aisle, clerestory and tower. Chancel shortened and partially rebuilt
in 1792-4 reusing C13 materials. Restorations of 1828 included re-roofing,
reseating. C18-Cl9 south porch incorporating C15 sculpture. C19 north
vestry. Restorations of 1955-7 by G G Pace included reroofing, repairs to
tower, south aisle and windows. Roughly coursed rubble and squared stone
blocks with brick patching to tower, aisles, north and south transepts,
clerestory; ashlar to chancel; rendered brick to south porch, brick to north
vestry. Ashlar dressings throughout. Slate roofs. Cruciform plan: west
tower, 2-bay aisled nave with short north and south transepts, south porch,
north vestry, single-bay chancel. Quoins. 2-stage tower: full-height
diagonal buttresses with offsets, moulded plinth, slit lights to staircase
in south-west angle. Tall first stage: large C15 pointed 4-light west
window with Perpendicular tracery, hoodmould; single slit lights above to
west, north and south sides. Stepped-in upper stage has 4-centred-arched 2-
light belfry openings with cinquefoiled lights, incised spandrels and
hoodmoulds. Moulded string course, gargoyles to corners and centres of each
side. Coped embattled parapet. Plain turret to head of staircase. North
aisle: moulded string course at 2 levels either side of vestry, the section
to east at sill height; buttresses to angles and centre. Fine late C13
pointed 2-light geometric-traceried window to east of vestry has rounded-
trefoiled lights beneath a large unfoiled circle surrounded by 3 trefoiled
circles, filleted tracery and ornate reveal with 4 clustered filleted shafts
with foliate capitals (that to left missing). Small lancet to west of
vestry, blocked lancet to west side. North transept: chamfered plinth,
buttresses to angles and pair to north side, moulded sill string course,
single basket-arched 3-light cinquefoiled window with incised spandrels in
hollow-chamfered reveal. South aisle: buttress to south-west angle, moulded
sill string courses at different levels either side of porch. Single 4-
centred-arched 3-light cinquefoiled window with incised spandrels in hollow-
chamfered reveal; blocked square-headed 2-light west window with mullion
missing. Brick to eaves and lean-to gable. South transept: buttresses and
moulded sill string course similar to those of north chapel; C13 pointed 3-
light intersecting traceried window, partly-restored C13 pointed 2-light
geometric-traceried window with pierced quatrefoil above trefoiled lights.
South porch: slim set back buttresses with reused moulded ashlar offsets and
gableted caps; pointed chamfered outer arch with hoodmould and impost string
course; 3 reset C15 relief panels above representing the Annunciation,
Coronation of the Virgin, and the Assumption, all beneath worn crenellated
hoods and all suffering serious erosion. Fine C12 inner door, probably
originally round and reset as pointed in C13, of 2 boldly-chevroned orders
on shafted responds with scrolled and stiff-leaf capitals, flanked by large
headstops. C15 inner door with blind Perpendicular-traceried panels and
restored ribs. Clerestory: three 4-centred-arched 2-light cinquefoiled
windows with incised spandrels in hollow-chamfered reveals to western
section of both sides; rebuilt brick section above north transept, hipped
roof. Chancel: buttresses with offsets to east, moulded string course
similar to north and south transepts, partly-restored round-headed 3-light
geometric-traceried east window with pair of pierced quatrefoils above
trefoiled lights, coped gable. Interior. Tall pointed triple-chamfered
tower arch on twin shafted responds; small pointed chamfered door to tower
staircase. 2-bay north and south nave arcades of pointed triple-chamfered
arches with broach stops, on shafted piers and west responds with
alternating thick and thin shafts, the south arcade with a circular pedestal
to the pier and nailhead mouldings to the capitals, the north arcade with a
square pedestal and plain moulded capitals. Pointed double-chamfered
central arch to crossing, and flanking pointed triple-chamfered east arches
to aisles, on tall shafted piers and corbelled north and south responds.
East side of the central arch bears 3 carved heads above the springing
facing the chancel and south chapel. Pointed triple-chamfered north and
south arches to transepts on shafted responds. All shafts have single
chamfered rings, moulded capitals and bases. Section of nave to east of
crossing has round-headed opening to southchapel at former rood screen
level. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch to east of crossing, with
chamfered jambs and keeled responds to inner order. Chancel has C13 piscina
with pointed filleted arch and projecting moulded bowl. North aisle has C12
roll-moulded north doorway (now to vestry) originlly round-arched, reset as
pointed, with plain moulded imposts and hoodmould continued as string course
containing studded C15-C16 oak door. Shouldered-arched openings to blocked
west aisle windows. Carved head corbel to north aisle north wall. C20
ceiling to nave; hollow-chamfered rafters and single purlins to chapels,
boarded C18 rafter roof to chancel with staggered butt purlins. Monuments.
Beneath segmental-arched recess in chancel south wall, a reset C14 effigy of
a Lady, bearing traces of paint, with angels flanking the head and a
mutilated griffon at the feet, on a chest with 4 carved shields in
quatrefoils bearing arms of Bohun, Slapleton, Dayville and Wigton. To west
of chancel arch, a very fine C16 monument to a member of the Haldenby
family, probably Francis Haldenby, d 1596: knight effigy with shield bearing
chalices carved in high relief, and head pillowed on helmet with coronet and
crest, on partly restored chest with carved arms to west side, and relief
panel to north side bearing carved border and 15 family figures, (11 male, 4
female) kneeling on a scroll inscribed in Latin with a series of homilies
attributed to each figure. Above, a wall tablet to Francis Haldenby of 1589
carved in high relief, with a lower panel bearing the date and a long Latin
inscription, and an upper panel bearing the Haldenby arms with helm, coronet
and crest, copious mantling and inscribed scrolls. North side of chancel:
small inscribed brass plate to Christopher Egmonton of Fockerby, of 1569;
floorslab to Rev William Browne of 1720; damaged C13-C14 tombstone with
incised cross and fragmentary Gothic inscription to a lady Berengia.
Graveslab in north transept to Robert Haldenby and wife Agnes, of 1427, with
a pair of incised crosses and Gothic border inscription. South transept:
very fine standing wall monument to Mary Ramsden of 1755, by Charles Mitley
and Harvey of York, in variety of veined marbles: panelled pedestal bearing
inscribed tablet, with life-size figure above in draped costume against
reredos background with festoon and cherubs, in Corinthian surround with
fluted columns and segmental pediment carrying mantled arms and pair of
urns. Series of black marble slabs within railed enclosure at foot of
Ramsden monument: to Rev Henry Breary of 1743; to Elizabeth Robinson of
1714; to Thomas Robinson of 1710 with fine Latin inscription and roundel
with arms and achievement in relief; to Mary Ramsden of 1743. Further black
marble floorslabs in transept: to Robert Robinson of 1702; to Elizabeth
Breary of 1719; to Thomas Robinson of 1709; C14 matrix for brass of knight
with indents for full figure and pair of shields flanking the head. Series
of C18 ashlar floorslabs. Wall tablets in south transept: to Rev Isaac
Tyson of 1820 with pilastered surround, urn, crown, cross and books; to Rev
William Tyson of 1865 and Mary Tyson of 1834, both by W D Keyworth of Hull.
Wall tablet in north chapel to Sarah Middleton of 1832 with coffin, moulded
cornice and urn, by Swift. C15 octagonal font with tall C19 wooden font
cover. C18 and C19 box pews throughout, those in transepts with iron candle
brackets. Painted Royal Arms of 1856 in tower. John le Franceys, Rector of
Adlingfleet from 1247-55 (at that time one of the richest livings in the
country), rebuilt Adlingfleet church and pulled down the neighbouring church
at Whitgift. The C14 lady effigy (and chest?) was excavated in the C17 from
the south side of the church, and is reputed to be Margaret, wife of Thomas
de Egmonton, d1370. Mary Ramsden, widow of William Ramsden of Norton,
Yorkshire, bequeathed her estate (including Adlingfleet) to St Catherine's
College, Cambridge, and her monument was evidently intended for erection
there. The finest medieval church in the Marshland region of the lower
Trent and Ouse valleys, with some notable details and monuments. N Pevsner,
The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, West Riding, 1959, pp 72-3; W
Richardson, Some Useful Consumers of Waste: History in two Marshland
Parishes, Adlingfleet and Whitgift, 1981, pp 1-85. R Gunnis, Dictionary of
British Sculptors 1660-1851, 1951, p 261; R Holmes, The Wapentake of
Osgoldcross, 1894, pp 70-1.

Listing NGR: SE8439521002

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.