Church of St Hybald, Manton
Description: Church of St Hybald
Date Listed: 6 November 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 165746
OS Grid Reference: SE9340402692
OS Grid Coordinates: 493404, 402692
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5126, -0.5929
Location: Sand Lane, Manton, North Lincolnshire DN21 4JT
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
SE 90 SW MANTON MANTON
5/47 Church of St Hybald
Church. 1861 by J M Hooker and Wheeler of Tunbridge Wells, for M D Dalison.
Squared limestone with limestone ashlar dressings, slate roof. Gothic
Revival style. 3-bay nave with south-west tower containing porch, 2 bay
chancel with vestry adjoining north side. Chamfered plinth, quoins,
buttresses, string-course. 3-stage tower, with clasping buttresses, pointed
moulded outer and inner doorways. Narrow shouldered lights to second stage.
Splay-footed belfry with clasping buttresses and pointed 2-light traceried
openings. Splay-footed spire with shafted lucarnes. Iron cross finial.
Nave: 2-light windows and 4-light west window with Geometrical tracery.
Chancel: paired lancets under dripmould and a 3-light east window with
Geomentrical tracery. Coped gables with finials. Interior: south chancel
windows divided by polished marble shafts. 2 earlier C19 marble wall
plaques in vestry, one with draped urn. Elaborately-carved octagonal font
with marble shafts; other original C19 fittings and stained glass intact.
The church, sited on the side of the Lincoln Cliff, forms an imposing
feature in the landscape.) N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England:
Lincolnshire, 1978, p 311.
Listing NGR: SE9340402692
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.