If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Normanby Hall
Date Listed: 19 October 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 165776
OS Grid Reference: SE8873016534
OS Grid Coordinates: 488730, 416534
Latitude/Longitude: 53.6378, -0.6595
SE 81 NE BURTON UPON STATHER NORMANBY PARK
1/22 Normanby Hall
- (Previously listed as
19.10.51 Normanby Park)
Country house, 1825-30 by Sir Robert Smirke for Sir Robert Sheffield, with
minor internal remodelling and addition of large east wing and north service
range in 1906 by Walter Brierley for Sir Berkeley Sheffield. Ancaster
limestone ashlar, slate roof. Smirke's building forms entrance front.
Classical style. Approximately square on plan with projecting bays and corner
wings. Central section of 2 storeys with attic flanked by 2 storey projecting
wings. 1:3:1 bays. Plinth, first floor band and cornice link bays. Flight of
stone steps to projecting porch with pairs of Ionic columns and pit,asters
supporting a plain entablature and dentilled cornice. Tall double panelled
doors in architrave beneath a pulvinated frieze. Sashes in tapered eared
architraves to either side. Wings have recessed tripartite windows divided by
pilasters supporting a cornice, with a recessed panel above bearing floral
decoration. Flat first floor band. First floor windows similar to those
below. All ground and first floor windows are sashes with narrow glazing
bars. Moulded cornice. 3 central 2-pane attic sashes in architraves under a
further moulded cornice. Wings have parapet with central balustrade. flipped
roof and stacks with moulded cornices to central section. Right return forms
south garden front: central section 2 storeys with attic, 4 bays 1:2:1 with
first and fourth bays projecting; 2 storey outer bays. Central tripartite
openings with blind centre panel flanked by sashes and divided by pilasters
supporting a moulded cornice with a recessed decorated panel above.
Projecting bays have sashes in architraves with hoods supported on carved
consoles. Wings have sashes in eared architraves. First floor central
tripartite window has double pilasters flanking blind centre panel. Bays to
either side have sashes in eared architraves. Cornice, balustrade and attic
sashes similar to entrance front. The rear is similar to the front but with a
central ground floor window beneath a hood supported on carved consoles. 1906
wing to the right in Classical Baroque style. L-shaped with a 5-bay south
garden front and an entrance in the angle beside the C19 block. Entrance bay
has double panelled doors in a Gibbs surround beneath a projecting hood and a
large round-headed fanlight surmounted by a raised keystone with carved swags.
Symmetrical garden front to right has plinth, rusticated quoins. Steps up to
central window in eared architrave with keystone flanked by Ionic pilasters
supporting an open pediment containing date and decorative carving. Sashes to
either side have cills on brackets, architraves, raised keystones and hoods on
carved consoles. First floor sashes linked by cill band have eared
architraves and raised keystones. Ornate cast-iron down-pipes with brackets
and rain-water heads bearing Sheffield monogram, arms and date. Heavy
dentilled cornice and 5 attic sashes similar to those of the first floor.
flipped roof, stacks with raised bands and cornices. Interior of 1820s is
largely intact and includes stair-hall with a single flight and double return
staircase with cast-iron fluted column balusters, sweeping mahogany handrail
and panelled dado; twin east and west drawing rooms with pilasters, moulded
cornices and ceilings; panelled dining room with moulded cornice and ceiling;
panelled study with moulded cornice and library with moulded dado rail (part
1960s restoration) and cornice. The 4 latter rooms have fine C18 marble
chimney-pieces, the one in the library inserted in 1960s, others in 1960.
First floor upper hall has pair of fluted Doric columns at stair-head. Other
original fittings include doors, architraves, cornices and window shutters.
In 1906 Brierley opened the original entrance hall into both inner- and stair-
halls and inserted enriched fluted Ionic colonnades. The 1906 wing retains its
fine Classical-Baroque style interiors and inserted C18 chimney-pieces. The
1820s building is notable for the early constructional use of cast-iron beams.
M H Kirkby, Normanby Hall, Scunthorpe, 196? L. W., 'Normanby Park', Country
Life, 20 July 1911, pp 170-6; J Cornforth, 'Normanby Park, Lincolnshire' ,
Country Life, 17 August 1961, pp 346-9.
Listing NGR: SE8873016534
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.