If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of Holy Trinity
Date Listed: 6 November 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 165803
OS Grid Reference: TA0721421433
OS Grid Coordinates: 507214, 421433
Latitude/Longitude: 53.6784, -0.3783
TA 0621-0721 BARROW UPON HUMBER CHURCHSIDE
14/5 Church of the Holy
Trinity (formerly listed as
6.11.67 Holy Trinity Church)
Parish Church. C13 north arcade and chancel, late C13 south arcade, C14-C15
tower and aisles. Restored in 1841, 1856. Restorations of 1868-9 by Kirk
and Parry of Sleaford included rebuilding north aisle, new chancel arch,
south porch, new roofs to aisles and chancel. Chancel east wall rebuilt
1897. Limestone ashlar tower; squared limestone and limestone ashlar south
aisle with rendered plinth; rock-faced ashlar north aisle with rendered
brick and chalk rubble west wall; chalk rubble and brick chancel with
limestone ashlar east wall and dressings. Slate roofs. West tower, 4-bay
aisled nave with south porch and 3-bay chancel. 2-stage tower: moulded
plinth, angle buttresses with set-offs. Tall first stage has pointed
moulded west door with hoodmould and weathered headstops, pointed 3-light
window above with Perpendicular tracery and hoodmould; C20 clockfaces to
north and south, moulded string course. Stepped-in top stage with angle
pilasters, pointed 2-light belfry openings with Perpendicular tracery and
head corbels above supporting pilaster strips. Moulded cornice with head
stops, embattled parapet with tapered angle pinnacles. North aisle: C19
buttresses, 2 and 3-light square-headed trefoiled north windows, pointed 3-
light east window with geometrical tracery; C16 pointed 3-light west window
with Perpendicular tracery and hoodmould, set in contemporary brickwork.
South aisle: wide chamfered ashlar-coped plinth, moulded cillband; square-
headed 3-light traceried windows, pointed 2-light traceried west window,
C19 pointed 3-light east window with reticulated tracery in rebuilt wall.
Chancel: C19 angle buttresses, C18 and C19 brick buttresses to north and
south. South side has pointed chamfered door with moulded imposts and
hoodmould, blocked lancet, pointed 2-light plate traceried window with
trefoiled lights and pierced trefoil above, pointed 3-light window with
Perpendicular tracery and hoodmould, and C19 segmental-headed 2-light window
with Perpendicular tracery. 2 C13 lancets to north, C19 stepped lancets to
east. South porch has C19 restored pointed shafted outer arch with
hoodmould and headstops, stone benches inside, and pointed moulded inner
arch with hoodmould. Interior. 5-bay north arcade: four late C12 - early
C13 west bays with plain round arches of 2 orders on cylindrical piers and
west respond with scalloped capitals, octagonal abaci, plain moulded bases
and square plinths; late C13 inserted east bay with pointed double-chamfered
arch, keeled quatrefoil pier and re-set cylindrical respond similar to west.
4-bay south arcade of pointed double-chamfered arches on keeled responds and
single octagonal, cylindrical and filleted quatrefoil piers with plain
moulded capitals and bases. C14 pointed moulded tower arch. Trefoiled
ogee-headed piscina with mutilated bowl to south aisle. C19 pointed double-
chamfered chancel arch on corbels. Chancel has ornate C19 east lancets with
shafts and moulded arches, low rendered arch to organ chamber, segmental-
arched piscina to south with mutilated bowl, square recess to north. C19
roofs throughout. Monuments in chancel: late C17 - early C18 wall tablet to
RK, marble wall tablet to Roger Uppleby of 1780 with carved urn on pedestal,
marble wall tablet to George Uppleby of 1816 with carved arms and crest by
Taylor of York, early C18 floor slab to James Houseman and family; in south
aisle, wall tablet to William Broxholme of 1684 with carved arms and crest.
Painted and restored C14-C15 oak rood screen to chancel: central arch
flanked by 4 traceried panels with moulded shafts. C13-C14 font with
otagonal bowl on octagonal shaft and base.
N. Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 179;
Associated Architectural Societies Reports and Papers, 1869, vol 10, pt 1,
p.XV; Drawing by C Nattes, 1796, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library.
Listing NGR: TA0721221434
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.