British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of All Saints, Goxhill

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: I
Date Listed: 6 November 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 165830

OS Grid Reference: TA1022421236
OS Grid Coordinates: 510224, 421236
Latitude/Longitude: 53.6760, -0.3328

Location: Church Street, Goxhill, North Lincolnshire DN19 7HX

Locality: Goxhill
County: North Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: DN19 7HX

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

(south side)

16/31 Church of All Saints

Parish Church. C13 chancel, C14 - C15 nave, aisles and tower. Restorations
of c1857 included re-flooring, removal of plaster; restorations of 1878 to
aisles, chancel and tower. Limestone ashlar tower, nave and aisle north and
south walls; limestone and chalk rubble to east and west walls of aisles;
squared limestone and limestone and chalk rubble with ashlar dressings to
chancel; brick south porch with ashlar front; rendered stone north porch.
Slate roofs to nave, chancel and porches; lead roofs to aisles. West tower,
4-bay nave with 5-bay north and south aisles, north and south porches
(latter now vestry), and 3-bay chancel. Moulded plinth to tower, south
porch and north and south walls of aisle; chamfered plinth to chancel and
east and west walls of aisles. 3-stage tower: full-height angle buttresses
with moulded set-offs, moulded stringcourses between stages. First stage
has pointed moulded west door with hoodmould and headstops, moulded
dripstone, four-centred arch 4-light traceried window with hoodmould and
headstops, slit windows to stairs in south west angle. 2nd stage has four-
centred arch 2-light traceried window with hoodmould and headstops, C19
clockfaces to west and north. 3rd stage has later C15 top section with
Perpendicular tracery to pointed 2-light belfry openings and hoodmoulds with
corbelled pilaster srips rising to embattled parapet with weathered
gargoyles. Aisles: buttresses with set-offs between bays and at angles;
four-centred arch 3-light cinquefoiled windows with hoodmoulds to north,
south and east, those to north and east with largely restored tracery;
moulded cornices with gargoyles at angles and C19 embattled parapets with
crocketed angle pinnacles. South aisle has pointed 3-light west window with
C19 curvilinear tracery; north aisle has C14 pointed 3-light west window
with reticulated tracery. Nave: 8 four-centred arch 3-light cinquefoiled
clerestory windows, buttress to east, moulded cornice, coped gable and
sanctus bellcote with moulded arched openings and cross finial. Chancel:
north side has central buttress, restored lancet with hoodmould and carved
stops, C19 twin lancet and basket-arched 3-light trefoiled window; south
side has similar buttress and basket-arched 3-light trefoiled window; C14
pointed 3-light window with partly-restored curvilinear tracery, hoodmould
and foliate stops, and small pointed hollow-chamfered priest's door; four-
centred arch 4-light east window with hoodmould and C19 tracery. South
porch: side buttresses with moulded set-offs flanking pointed moulded outer
arch, partly blocked. North porch: pointed chamfered outer doorway with
ashlar jambs and C19 brick arch; pointed inner arch with ornate carved
heads, flowers etc in hollow moulding; C19 door with re-used medieval strap-
hinges; pair of carved corbels above supporting purlins of porch roof.
Interior. 4-bay arcades of pointed double-chamfered arches on octagonal
piers with plain moulded capitals and bases on octagonal plinths; second
pier from east on south side bears traces of painted bands. Pointed
double-chamfered tower and chancel arches on octagonal responds with plain
moulded bases and capitals. Re-used C12 chevron-moulded masonry at east end
of nave. Former south porch has fine pointed moulded south doorway and
original door, partly restored, with moulded ribs and decorated wrought-iron
strap hinges; pointed moulded niche for stoup and fragmentary C15
crucifixion painting and black-letter inscription on east wall. Chancel:
double piscina with fillet-moulded trefoiled arches, central octagonal shaft
with dog-tooth moulded abacus and quatrefoil panel in spandrel; triangular-
headed aumbrys to south and north walls. Fine C15 4-bay moulded oak nave
roof has cranked tie beams with crocketed braces to corbelled wall posts and
two pairs of vertical struts with traceried panels between, intermediate
principal rafters and single butt- and ridge-purlins. Similar but plainer
C15 2-bay south porch roof with moulded tie beams and wall plates.
Monuments: in chancel a fine but damaged late C13 knight effigy, ornate
marble wall tablet to Edward and Arabel Skinner of 1669 with carved base,
pilasters and scrolled pediment with arms, floor slab to John and Robert
Sandes of 1664; in south aisle a wall tablet to Thomas Wyer of 1787 with
carved urns by E Foster of Hull; mid C17 - early C18 inscribed floor slabs
at west end of nave. Restored carved oak panelled pulpit of 1634.
N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 250;
drawing by C L Nattes, 1796, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library.

Listing NGR: TA1022321235

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.