If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Newstead Priory Farmhouse and Screen Wall Adjoining to Left
Date Listed: 19 October 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 166004
OS Grid Reference: TA0000804457
OS Grid Coordinates: 500008, 404457
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5273, -0.4928
TA 00 SW CADNEY BRIGG ROAD
(west side, off)
11/44 Newstead Priory Farmhouse
and screen wall adjoining
19.10.51 to left
(formerly listed as
remains of Newstead
Farmhouse and adjoining screen wall, incorporating former monastic range of
Gilbertine Priory and re-using medieval masonry. C12-C13 undercroft with
C15-C16 first-floor section, extended and converted to house in early C19
for Yarborough Estate. Later C19 bay windows and extensions to right and
rear. Main range of squared limestone and rubble with ashlar dressings,
rendered to front and part of left return; rear extension in coursed
limestone rubble with brick dressings; right extension rendered; brick
stacks. Westmorland slate roof to main range, Welsh slate roof to bay
windows and later extensions. Plan: 2-room central-entrance hall east
front, with vaulted undercroft of 2 by 2 bays forming ground-floor left
room, former entrance hall now opened out to ground-floor right room, stairs
to rear; double-depth kitchen/lobby extension to right, single-room
extension to rear. East front: 2 storeys, 4 first-floor windows; single-
window extension set back to right, single-bay screen wall to left.
Chamfered plinth. Round-arched entrance to right of centre with recessed
half-glazed panelled door and plain overlight, flanked by single ground-
floor canted bay windows to each side with sills, plate-glass sashes and
moulded cornices. C20 casement to right extension. Round-headed first-
floor sashes in flush wooden architraves with glazing bars and sills.
Moulded wooden eaves board. Stone-coped gables with shaped kneelers.
Central axial stack and end stack to right with dentilled cornices. Double-
span roof to extension with coped gables, shaped kneelers and corniced end
stacks. Screen wall forms continuation of front: plinth, round-headed coved
niche, ashlar coping ramped down to left between piers with ashlar ball
finials. Rear: ashlar quoins to main range, brick quoins to wing. Main
range has steps down to half-glazed 2-fold door beneath timber lintel, and
C16 3-light first-floor painted ashlar window with 4-centred arch lights,
moulded mullions and C19 glazing bars, beneath hood-mould with carved bust
stops. 16-pane sash to wing in flush wooden architrave and brick surround
with segmental arch containing re-set medieval carved stone head. Right
return, main range: central ground-floor round-headed window with 12-pane
sliding sash flanked by 12-pane sliding sash and C20 casement; central
first-floor 16-pane sash. Interior. Quadripartite vaulting to ground floor
left has plastered rubble ceiling and chamfered ashlar round-arched ribs
with diamond stops, supported on moulded corbels and central octagonal pier
(perhaps a later replacement) with a moulded capital. A second, plastered,
pier to the east, supporting an extension of the vaulting into the bay
window, is probably a C19 insertion incorporating an original corbel.
Former square-headed doorway to south wall, now a window. Remains of arch
in north wall revealed in alterations to door from ground floor right to
kitchen. C19 features include: wall cupboard to ground floor left with
geometrical glazing, elliptical-arched recesses to ground floor right with
archivolts and scrolled consoles, similar arch to entrance passage.
Newstead-on Ancholme Priory, founded before 1164, was dissolved in 1538.
Nattes' drawing shows a second 3-light first-floor north window which may
have been removed in C19, or blocked and obscured by rear wing. The
surviving medieval structure is variously interpreted as refectory or
chapter house. An impressive adjoining C12 round-arched doorway was removed
to Brocklesby Park soon after 1812 (probably when house was built) and
subsequently lost. Drawing by C Nattes, 1795, Banks Collection, Lincoln
City Library; C L Exley, "Newstead-on-Ancholme Priory", Lincolnshire
Magazine, Vol 1, No 11, (May-June 1934) p 348; N Loughlin and K R Miller,
A Survey of Archaeological Sites in Humberside, 1979, p 195.
Listing NGR: TA0000404460
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.