If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 6 November 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 166008
OS Grid Reference: TA0169503354
OS Grid Coordinates: 501695, 403354
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5170, -0.4677
TA OO SW CADNEY VICARAGE LANE
11/48 Church of All Saints
Parish church. Mid C12 arcade with early C13 east bay, C13 tower and
chancel, early C14 south aisle, C15 porch, upper stage and parapet to tower.
Mid - late C15 chancel and chapel parclose screens. North aisle demolished,
nave and chancel roofs altered in 1780. Restorations of 1912-13 by Sir
Charles Nicholson included partially rebuilding south aisle, new east
chancel and north nave windows, repairs to roofs, re-seating, new porch
entrance. General restorations c1960. Tower of coursed limestone and
ironstone rubble with galleted joints, ironstone ashlar top stage and
parapet; chancel of coursed limestone rubble; remainder in coursed limestone
and ironstone rubble with squared blocks to later sections; limestone and
ironstone dressings throughout, with brick surrounds to nave north windows.
Lead roofs. West tower, 4-bay nave with south aisle, south porch and 3-bay
chancel. 4-stage tower: quoins, wide chamfered plinth, moulded string
courses between stages. First stage: west needle lancet with hood-mould.
Stepped-in second stage: west lancet with weathered perforated wooden
window. Short third stage has much-weathered twin lancet belfry openings
with monolithic heads and chamfered central shafts supporting through-
imposts (outer shafts missing from north and west sides). Much-weathered
corbel table. Very short fourth stage. Coped embattled parapet with stumps
of angle pinnacles. Nave: chamfered plinth, round-headed 3-light windows
with Gothic Revival tracery to north side. South aisle: quoins, restored
chamfered plinth and buttresses to centre and angles; 2 square-headed 3-
light trefoiled windows with restored mullions hood-moulds, similar restored
2-light west window, pointed 3-light east window with intersecting tracery,
hood-mould and fine headstops. Chancel: chamfered plinth, angle buttresses
and single buttresses to east bay; south side has blocked pointed door with
chamfered jambs and hollow chamfered arch with hood-mould, 2 lancets with
hood-moulds, single headstop, and sill string course cut by trefoiled lancet
with hood-mould and carved stops; 2 lancets with hood-moulds and headstops
to north with string course above; partly-restored 4-centred arch 3-light
east window with nook corbels, Perpendicular tracery, hood-mould and
headstops. Open gabled porch has recessed timber entrance with gate flanked
by sidelights beneath cranked tie beam with king post and side struts;
square ashlar panels to porch sides with cross-shaped arrow slits, probably
re-set; moulded tie beam and stone benches inside. Pointed inner arch of 2
orders with hollow chamfered and roll mouldings. Interior. 4-bay south
arcade: three C12 west bays of plain round arches on cylindrical piers with
plain moulded bases on tall square chamfered plinths, and fluted, scalloped
and simple stiff-leaf capitals; fourth bay, to east chapel (traditionally
known as Newstead Chapel) has wide double-chamfered arch with chamfered
jambs to west, and inner order to east on moulded carved head corbel. East
pier has inserted C14 niche with base supported by rustic carved figure with
upraised arms, and crocketed trefoiled ogee arch flanked by carved heads
supporting buttress shafts with crocketed finials. Chamfered ogee-arched
piscina to south chapel; square-headed recess with chamfered sill beside
entrance. Tall pointed double-chamfered tower arch with hood-mould,
chamfered jambs and plain moulded imposts with crudely-carved heads.
Deeply-splayed lancet to tower. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch has
moulded imposts, chamfered jambs and inner order on moulded corbels with
carved grotesque to north, fine Green Man to south. Chancel: sill string
course, deeply-splayed lancets with chamfered surrounds; trefoiled piscina
with nailhead and hollow mouldings, and projecting bowl; carved head corbel
to east wall; restored aumbry. Square-framed oak screens to chancel and
south chapel. 5-bay chancel screen with wide entrance flanked by narrower
bays containing pointed lights with remnants of Perpendicular tracery,
ornate carved spandrels to east face, blind 2-light traceried lower stage
with restored panels, moulded stiles, top and mid rails. Chapel west
screen: 5 full bays with door to second bay, each bay with 3-light openings
with intersecting tracery, crocketed foiled ogee heads to lights with
tracery above and pierced and carved spandrels, plain panels below, moulded
stiles, top and mid rails; ornate blind traceried door has 2 Perpendicular
traceried panels below, and 2 panels above with 2 tiers of pointed arches
with intersecting tracery. Chapel north screen: 6 1/2 bays, door to second
bay, each bay containing 2 lights with ornate traceried and crocketed ogee
heads and pierced Perpendicular tracery above, moulded mid rail with remains
of fretwork Gothic inscription, blind flowing traceried panels below and
blind quatrefoil frieze above bottom rail; moulded stiles bear octagonal
corbels for figurines, the traceried panels contain representations of lead
weights; door has 2 lower panels containing 2 tiers of pointed arches with
intersecting tracery, moulded mid rail and pierced traceried 4-light upper
panels. Romanesque drum font with scallop moulding above blind arcading of
intersecting round arches on piers with foliate capitals; cylindrical
pedestal. Moveable font with octagonal ashlar bowl on C19 wooden stand.
C16 wooden pedestal Poor Box in south chapel on tapered square column with
plain moulded capital, iron fixing loops to side of rectangular box. South
chapel has C13 ashlar grave slab with cross in relief; inscribed floor slab
of 1699 to Robert and Elizabeth Pye of Cadney. Traces of wall paintings to
nave: inscription on east wall dated from names of churchwardens to 1724; on
south jamb of tower arch, part of C16 psalm inscription with figure.
Fragments of moulded stone, including medieval graveslabs, inside tower.
The fine screens may have come from the Gilbertine Priory of Newstead-on-
Ancholme a mile to the north-west. Tower in disrepair at time of resurvey.
N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p 211-
1; P B G Binnall, The Parish Church of All Saints, Cadney, 1973, 7pp;
E A Woodruffe-Peacock, Notes on Cadney Church, 1912.
Listing NGR: TA0169303356
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.