British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Hibaldstow Mill and Retaining Walls to Mill Pond and Wheel Race, Hibaldstow

Description: Hibaldstow Mill and Retaining Walls to Mill Pond and Wheel Race

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 6 January 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 166016

OS Grid Reference: SE9819102765
OS Grid Coordinates: 498191, 402765
Latitude/Longitude: 53.5124, -0.5207

Location: 7 The Millfield, Hibaldstow, North Lincolnshire DN20 9PF

Locality: Hibaldstow
County: North Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: DN20 9PF

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

There is also a scheduled monument with a similar name, Hibaldstow Mill, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This is probably the same structure or related to it in some way.

Listing Text

The following item shall be added:

(north side, off)

10/56 Hibaldstow Mill and
retaining walls to mill-
pond and wheel-race
The grade shall be upgraded to grade II*


(north side)
10/56 Hibaldstow Mill and
retaining walls to mill-
pond and wheel-race


Combined windmill/watermill and dwelling. 1802 by James Middleton of
Hibaldstow, millwright. Top storey added to tower in 1837 for James Tenney,
miller. Engine-house to north of 1912; C20 patching and repairs. Hammer-
dressed limestone and coursed rubble with minor later brick patching and
repairs to openings, rendering to south face of roundhouse, and tarring to
lower courses of tower. Red brick to top storey of tower. York stone roof
to roundhouse, concreted over in C20. Pantile roof to wheel-house. Brick
retaining walls to mill-pond, limestone rubble and brick retaining walls to
wheel-race. Plan: roundhouse approximately 12 metres diameter with opposed
east and west entrances and flattened south face for water-wheel with gabled
2-room wheel-house adjoining. Interior of roundhouse divided radially by
8 walls, forming deep alcoves or rooms, and leaving a central circular space
approximately 5.5 metres diameter. The radial walls, linked by round-arched
vaults at second-storey level, support the roof and tapering round-tower
above, approximately 7 metres diameter at base. 2-storey roundhouse
supporting central 7-storey tower approximately 19 metres high, the
roundhouse roof forming a balcony at second floor level; single-storey
wheel-house with 2 openings. Main entrance to east. 2 steps made from re-
used blue Cologne millstone, forming a small semi-circular loading platform.
Recessed 2-fold board door with cat-hole beneath segmental arch. Single
windows boarded-up to either side, that to right beneath a segmental arch,
that to left with brick surround and timber lintel; other windows and west
door obscured by engine-house and C20 sheds. Second floor: board door to
south-east in segmental-headed brick surround. 7 segmental-headed windows,
2 with brick-repaired arches: 5 glazed, 1 with board shutters, 1 boarded-up.
Stepped eaves with projecting flagstone roof. Wrought-iron balcony railings
with plain posts and single top-rail. Tower: third floor has 2-fold board
door to east with strap hinges beneath timber lintel, part-glazed 2-fold
door to west beneath segmental arch, 3 segmental-arched windows, 2 with
board shutters. 4 windows to third floor; 2 windows to fourth floor, 1 with
board shutters; 3 windows to fifth floor, 2 boarded-up. Top stage has
single boarded window and corbelled-out upper section with cogged brick
band. Windows have double-doored shutters or later hinged casements with
glazing bars, many with glass missing at time of resurvey. Wheel-house,
east side, has opening to brick and stone-lined mill-race, now floored-over,
and pair of board doors to left beneath lintel at eaves level. Wheel-house
derelict, with gable-end partly-collapsed at time of resurvey. Partly-
infilled mill-pond to west has brick-coped retaining walls flanking entrance
to wheel-race. Interior. Floors and main structural framework intact,
incorporates some timberwork from former post-mills. Winding staircase with
moulded handrail to roundhouse. Fittings include gears and shaft for
machine drive on ground floor, pair of stones on first floor (originally
under-driven by waterwheel); pair of stones to second floor (machine
driven); spur-wheel, drive shafts and frames for 2 sets of stones on third
floor (stones removed) originally powered from wind-sails. 1 ground-floor
alcove and another directly above on first floor contain fireplaces (the
latter with a C19 cast-iron duck's nest grate). The mill was used as a
dwelling for miller and family until the 1880s. The undershot water-wheel
was removed in 1912, the 4 sails in 1913, and the ogee cap in 1924. The
mill-pond was filled-in in 1940s. The mill, with its accompanying range of
contemporary outbuildings (qv) is one of very few examples of combined wind
and water-mills in Britain. The highly-accomplished design is particularly
notable, and probably unique. Disused and in disrepair at time of resurvey.
G Mounsey and J A Sass, "Reesons Mill, Hibaldstow" Lincolnshire Industrial
Archaeolgy, 1973, vol 8, No 2, pp 21-8.

Listing NGR: SE9819102765

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.