British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Flats 1 to 3 Inclusive Redbourne Hall Redbourne House, Redbourne

Description: Flats 1 to 3 Inclusive Redbourne Hall Redbourne House

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 19 October 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 166036

OS Grid Reference: SK9779099625
OS Grid Coordinates: 497790, 399625
Latitude/Longitude: 53.4843, -0.5278

Location: Redbourne, North Lincolnshire DN21 4JG

Locality: Redbourne
County: North Lincolnshire
Country: England
Postcode: DN21 4JG

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

(east side, off)

22/75 Redbourne Hall, including
Redbourne House and Flats
19.10.51 1-3 inclusive
(formerly listed as
Redbourne Hall)


Country house, now divided into flats. Early C18 for the Carter Estate,
with mid - late C18 alterations, perhaps by John Carr of York, for Rev
Robert Carter Thelwall; later C18 - early C19 alterations for Lord William
Beauclerk, and later C19 alterations for Dukes St Albans. West wing
(Redbourne Hall) forming principal front, of C18 origins, rebuilt c1820-30,
with later C19 stairhall wing to south and early C20 courtyard entrance.
Early C18 east range (Redbourne House and Flats 1-2), raised in later C18 -
early C19, has kitchen wing of c1820-30 to right (Flat 3), with carriage-
house of 1854 adjoining to rear, now partly incorporated in house. West
wing: squared limestone with red brick dressings, brick to bow window; east
range of red brick in Flemish bond; slate roofs throughout. Carriage-house
of grey brick with slate roof to central section and flagstone roofs to
lower wings. House approximately L-shaped on plan: 3-room west wing with
entrance and stairhall to south, main entrance to east; double-depth 3-room double-depth 3-room
east range with 2-room former kitchen wing to right and T-shaped carriage-
house and stables to rear. West front: 2-storey 5-bay symmetrical section
to left with single-bay full-height bow window and lower 2-storey 2-bay wing
to right. Ashlar plinth to left, limestone plinth to right; brick quoins.
Entrance to third bay has French window with glazing bars and large 6-pane
overlight, flanked by full-length slightly-recessed unequal 15-pane sashes
in rubbed-brick surrounds with sills and flat arches; first floor 12-pane
sashes in similar surrounds. Bow window, with C18 lower section, has 3
unequal 15-pane sashes in wooden architraves with sills and blind boxes with
scrolled brackets beneath stucco flat arches; similar first-floor sashes,
that to centre with stucco flat arch, those to either side with flat arches.
Wing to right: 12-pane sash in architrave with sill and blind box beneath
ashlar lintel, blind window panel to right with sill and lintel; similar
first-floor sashes. Moulded wooden eaves cornice. Hipped roof to main
range with end and axial stacks; roof hipped to lower right section. Right
return: recessed glazed door in brick surround flanked by 12-pane sashes in
architrave; 2 similar first-floor windows. Courtyard entrance front to west
wing: projecting ground-floor section flanking tall projecting porch;
projecting ground-floor bowed section to right with domed roof. Entrance
has 2-fold fielded-panel door and fanlight in reveal with rusticated brick
jambs and keyed ashlar arch with raised impost bands beneath moulded
pediment, the impost bands terminating in carved ashlar brackets supporting
porch sides. Single 12-pane sashes to each side; similar sash to bowed
section. East range: 3 storeys, 7 bays, with 2-storey 4-bay wing to right.
Left section: stucco plinth; entrance to third bay has 6-panel door and 5-
pane overlight in wooden architrave beneath flat brick arch flanked by 12-
pane sashes in flush wooden architraves with sills and flat brick arches;
C20 12-pane casement in altered opening to sixth bay (Flat No 2). C20 2-
course brick first-floor band, perhaps replacement. Similar first-floor
sashes, second-floor brick band. Second floor: two 16-pane sashes in flush
wooden architraves and one C20 casement beneath flat arches. Hipped roof, 2
axial stacks, end stack to left. Wing to right: first bay slightly-recessed
with 6-panelled door beneath geometric overlight and segmental arch. C20
entrance to second bay in original window opening beneath 6-pane casement
with rubbed brick flat arch; unequal 15-pane sashes in reveals with sills
and similar arches to right. First floor: round-headed window with glazing
bars to first bay, unequal 9-pane sashes in reveals with sills and flat
arches. Stepped eaves. Axial stack. Carriage-house: central 2-storey
square-plan section flanked by 3 single-storey flat-roofed sections, that to
south, adjoining house, raised to 2 storeys c1980; projecting entrance to
east, single-storey passage and stables to rear. Deep plinth; carriage
entrance beneath timber lintel, stepped and corbelled brick eaves, coped
parapet; 2-storey section has 2-course brick first-floor band, large lunette
with ashlar sill and glazing bars, stepped eaves, bracketed wooden cornice
and hipped roof surmounted by rectangular lantern with glazing bars,
pyramidal roof and weathervane. Casements to wings with glazing bars,
ashlar sills and cambered arches. Similar lunette to rear, blocked lunette
to south. Interior. West wing. c1820-30 main rooms en suite: 2 ground-
floor left rooms have similar moulded cornices and ornate gilded plasterwork
ceilings (partly obscured by inserted C20 ceiling to kitchen section in left
room); wide fielded-panel elliptically-arched 2-fold connecting door with
panelled pilasters, carved rosettes and scrolls; fitted pine cupboard to
left room with similar surround; plain pilastered ashlar chimneypieces.
Drawing room to right has similar chimneypiece in grey marble, plasterwork
coffered half-domed alcove to rear, fluted dado rail, coved cornice with
gilded leaf-and dart and grapevine friezes, foliate ceiling rose with
similar vine motif. Panelled window shutters and veneered doors in
architraves. Rear stairhall has good open-well rosewood staircase with
bracketed string, ramped and wreathed handrail, column newels and balusters;
wide reeded plaster cornice. Late C19 - early C20 main oak staircase with
turned balusters. East wing, section to left: ground floor left (Redbourne
House) has early C18 oak fielded-panelling, panelled overmantle flanked by
pilasters with carved capitals and entablature, carved cornice, fielded-
panel doors; 6 first-floor rooms (4 to front and 2 to rear) with painted
fielded-panelling, moulded cornices, fielded-panel doors and shutters: that
to first floor left with later C18 moulded plaster cornice and arched
alcoves flanking marble chimneypiece; plain ashlar chimneypieces to other
main rooms. Coved cornice and panelled plasterwork ceiling to first-floor
passage. Early C18 closed-string staircase to first floor right (Flat No 2)
with column-on-vase balusters; tunnel-vaulted entrance passage to left (Flat
No 1) with fielded-panel screen and early C19 staircase with ramped and
wreathed handrail, plain balusters and column newel. c1820-30 section to
Flat No 2 has closed-string staircase with ramped handrail, column balusters
and newels; elliptically-arched doors with beaded-panel reveals. Accounts
show that mid - late C18 building work for Rev Robert Carter Thelwall
included a bow window of 1770 (probably that shown on Nattes' drawing of the
west wing before refronting). Plans submitted by John Carr of York in 1773
and 1784 may have included house alterations as well as designs for a screen
wall and the gateway (qv). A date for the completion of the major C19
rebuilding is provided by payments made for furnishings to John Lovitt of
Hull and for chimney pieces to John Earle in 1827-8. Drawing ("Redbourne
House") by C Nattes, 1795, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library; N Pevsner
and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p340; York
Georgian Society, The Works in Architecture of John Carr, 1973, p28;
photographs in NMR.

Listing NGR: SK9779099625

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.