British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of All Saints, Easington

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: I
Date Listed: 16 December 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 166545

OS Grid Reference: TA3989319170
OS Grid Coordinates: 539893, 419170
Latitude/Longitude: 53.6503, 0.1151

Location: N Church Side, Easington, East Riding of Yorkshire HU12 0TN

Locality: Easington
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Country: England
Postcode: HU12 0TN

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

TA 31 NE
(north side)
12/4 Church of All Saints

Parish church. C12 nave, late C12 - early C13 north arcade and aisle, later
C13 south arcade and aisle, C14 tower, late C14 clerestory; C15-C16 chancel,
north aisle windows, east section of south aisle, upper stages of tower.
Porch rebuilt c1720 and repaired in 1811. Restorations to chancel in 1863,
and to nave and aisles in 1890; renovations underway at time of resurvey.
Random cobbles to south aisle, chancel, nave east end, north aisle parapet
and east end; cobbles and brick to south porch; limestone and sandstone
ashlar to tower, limestone ashlar to north aisle and nave clerestory;
limestone ashlar dressings throughout. Pantile roof to south porch, lead
roofs to remainder. West tower, 3-bay nave with 3-bay north aisle, 4-bay
south aisle with south porch, 3-bay chancel. 3-stage tower: moulded plinth,
full-height diagonal buttresses with offsets, moulded string courses between
stages. First stage: pointed 3-light west window with Perpendicular
tracery, moulded sill string course and hoodmould returned as string course.
Second stage: small round-headed single-light trefoiled windows to south and
west, line of earlier nave roof to east side. Pointed 2-light traceried
belfry openings with hoodmoulds. Moulded string course, coped embattled
parapet. North aisle: chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses with moulded
angles; C12-C13 round-arched door of 3 shafted orders (outer pairs of shafts
missing) with nailhead moulding to inner capitals, and nailhead, lozenge,
keeled and roll mouldings to arch; square-headed, 2-light trefoiled windows
with incised spandrels; corbelled string course, coped parapet. South
aisle: plinth, angle buttresses; restored C13 pointed 2-light Y-traceried
window, C15-C16 square-headed cinquefoiled window with incised spandrels,
C13 pointed 3-light window with intersecting tracery; pointed single-light
rounded-trefoil west window, blocked round-headed west door with brick
surround. Nave clerestory: pointed 2-light traceried windows, moulded
string courses, coped embattled parapets. Chancel: moulded plinth, diagonal
buttresses, buttresses between bays; south side has pair of square-headed 3-
light cinquefoiled windows, similar window beneath triangular head, restored
pointed moulded door with hoodmould; north side has similar square-headed 3-
light and 5-light windows, blocked door to rebuilt central bay flanked by
cobble buttresses; large pointed 5-light east window with Perpendicular
tracery and hoodmould. South porch: plinth, round-headed outer arch with 2-
course brick imposts, brick-coped gable with ashlar sundial dated 1811 and
inscribed with names of churchwardens. Pointed moulded inner arch with
hoodmould and weathered stops. Interior. 3-bay north arcade of pointed
arches of 2 plain orders (with traces of painted chevrons to west bay) on
cylindrical piers with plain moulded capitals and bases, the west pier and
east respond with cross-shaped abaci and pedestals. 4-bay south arcade of
pointed double-chamfered arches on central quatrefoil pier flanked by
cylindrical piers and foiled responds, with plain moulded capitals and
bases; the east pier with medieval graffiti drawing of a ship. Tall pointed
double-chamfered tower arch on chamfered responds with plain moulded bases
and capitals with carved leaves and grotesque in angles of chamfers.
Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch on chamfered responds with plain
moulded capitals and bases. Pointed door to pulpit at east end of north
arcade (perhaps originally to rood loft) with C19 moulded plaster surround,
hoodmould and foliate stops. South aisle has square aumbry and moulded
trefoiled piscina with incised spandrels, projecting bowl and carved basin;
pointed chamfered arch reveals to C13 windows. Chancel has C12 pillar
piscina (discovered in 1863 renovations) on 4 clustered shafts with a
moulded cushion capital and base; small square-headed wave-moulded north
door with surround bearing carved paterae. Monuments in chancel: C18
floorslabs, pair of marble wall tablets with fluted pilasters and coffins on
obelisk bases, one to Pattinson family of c1766, the other a copy of 1808 to
Robert Pattinson. Good marble wall monument in south aisle to John and Joan
Overton of 1651: large base with carved scrolled apron, moulded cornice and
open segmental pediment with arms in cartouche, supporting inscribed tablet
with verse, flanked by Corinthian columns carrying segmental entablature and
pediment surmounted by urns and arms in cartouche. C13 incised graveslabs
reused as lintels and jambs to 2 north aisle windows. Mutilated mensa slab,
reused as gravestone, in north aisle. C14 octagonal font with plain moulded
bowl. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, East Riding, 1972, p
220; Victoria County History: York, East Riding, vol 5, 1984, p 30; church

Listing NGR: TA3988919169

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.