British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of All Saints, Halsham

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: I
Date Listed: 16 December 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 166552

OS Grid Reference: TA2681027742
OS Grid Coordinates: 526810, 427742
Latitude/Longitude: 53.7307, -0.0792

Location: B1362, Halsham, East Riding of Yorkshire HU12 0DD

Locality: Halsham
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Country: England
Postcode: HU12 0DD

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

TA 22 NE
(west side, off)
3/11 Church of All Saints

Parish church. Early C12 nave with later C12 nave arcade; C12 chancel with
C14 south and east sides; C14 tower, south arcade and aisle, C15 north
aisle, refacing and buttresses to lower stage of tower. North chapel
rebuilt in early C18. Chancel arch remodelled 1720. Restorations of
1869-70 by Ewan Christian included work on chancel, new roofs. Random
cobbles to tower, west end of nave, east wall of north chapel, north wall of
chancel; limestone ashlar to remainder of chancel, tower parapet, south and
east walls of south aisle, north wall of north aisle; red brick in English
bond to north and east walls of north chapel, and in English garden wall
bond to west end of aisles and blocking of north and south tower arches;
rendered brick to north aisle parapet. Limestone ashlar dressings
throughout. Lead roof to north chapel; slate roofs to remainder. West
tower with blocked north and south arches, nave with 2-bay north arcade, 3-
bay south arcade, 3-bay aisles with north and south doors; 3-bay chancel
with single-bay north chapel. Moulded plinth to tower, aisles and chancel.
3-stage tower: angle buttresses with offsets to first stage, diagonal
buttresses above; stair lighting slits to south-west angle. First stage:
pointed 3-light west window with Perpendicular tracery and hoodmould, small
ogee-headed niche above with carved angel corbel and flanking pinnacled
buttress shafts; blocked pointed arches, moulded string courses to north and
south. Second stage: small square-headed south window, moulded string
course. Pointed 2-light traceried belfry openings with wooden louvres.
Moulded string course, gargoyle to west, coped embattled parapet. Nave:
quoins and former roof line visible to west. North aisle: buttresses with
offsets between bays; pointed moulded door of 2 orders beneath ogee
hoodmould with carved finial, flanked by buttress shafts with finials;
moulded sill string course, square-headed 3-light windows with Perpendicular
tracery, stone-coped parapet to north, crow-stepped parapet to west. South
aisle: restored plinth, buttresses with offsets to angles and between bays;
restored pointed moulded door of 2 orders with hoodmould and flanking
buttress shafts; roll-moulded sill string course; segmental-pointed 3-light
south and east windows with reticulated tracery, fillet-moulded reveals and
partly-restored moulded mullions, restored moulded string course; coped
parapet to south and crow-stepped parapet to west. Chancel: south side has
buttresses with offsets to angles and between bays, full-height segmental-
arched blind arcading, pointed wave-moulded door with square-headed 3-light
trefoiled window above, flanked by pointed 2-light traceried windows, that
to left with fillet-moulded tracery, that to right with double-chamfered
reveal; north side has blocked segmental-pointed door; large fine pointed 4-
light east window with curvilinear tracery in fillet-moulded reveal, with
moulded sill string course, hoodmould and headstops. Chapel: chamfered
quoins, chamfered round-headed west door with raised imposts and keystone
with skull and cross-bones carved in relief, square-headed 2-light window
above with incised spandrels; round-headed east window with moulded reveal,
raised imposts and wooden Y-tracery; ashlar band, stone-coped parapet and
gable. Interior. Nave: segment of C11 round-headed north window with
scalloped capital (shaft missing) supporting section of roll-moulded arch;
section of former Cll corbel table with 4 corbels to east (3 of them carved
heads) and one reset carved head corbel to west. North arcade of plain,
slightly-pointed arches on cylindrical piers and responds with moulded
bases, plain moulded capitals, square abaci and plinths. South arcade of
pointed double-chamfered arches dying into single chamfers, on octagonal
piers and responds with plain moulded capitals and bases incorporating
moulded brackets. Tall triple-chamfered tower arches to east, north and
south, on octagonal responds with moulded capitals and bases similar to
those of south aisle. North aisle has section of segmental chamfered arch
to west, steeply-pointed double-chamfered east arch to north chapel. South
aisle has small trefoiled piscina with stiff-leaf carving in spandrels.
windows to aisles have moulded reveals and mullions, those to north
especially ornate. C19 pointed moulded chancel arch. South side of chancel
contains section of plain C11-C12 sedilia with hollowed back and plain
moulded arm-rest to single seat, cut by fine C14 triple sedilia with
flanking colonettes supporting tall buttress shafts with crocketed pinnacles
and large blind crocketed ogee arch with curvilinear tracery and finely-
carved finial; fine trefoiled ogee-headed piscina with nodding crocketed
arch, mutilated animal stops, grotesque finial on window sill above, and
stiff-leaf ornament to bowl. North side of chancel contains blocked pointed
wave-moulded door, twin arcade to north chapel of pointed double-chamfered
arches on partly-restored octagonal pier and responds with plain moulded
capitals and bases. North chapel, dedicated to St John of Beverley: double
piscina with roll-moulded rounded-trefoil arches; fine composite chest tomb
of Sir John Constable of 1451 or 1477 with alabaster effigy of praying
knight, feet on hound, head on dragon, set on reused black marble matrix
with indents for brass border, shields and knight; chest has ashlar base and
alabaster relief panels with crocketed ogee arches and flanking buttress
shafts, the north and south sides with alternating paterae and angels
holding shields, the east and west ends with figures of St Christopher and
Madonna and child, and inserted ashlar quatrefoil panels. Marble wall
tablet in south aisle to Thomas Owst and others, of c1816, by John Earle of
Hull, with fluted pilastered surround and draped urn; tablet of similar
design to isabell Owst and others of c1843. Good octagonal oak pulpit dated
1634 with carved panels and rails. C19 octagonal font. The fine C14
detailing in the chancel is similar to work at St Patrick's, Patrington
(qv), and St Mary's, Welwick (qv), and the distinctive south arcade and
tower arch mouldings also similar to those at Welwick. Sketch hanging in
porch shows church prior to restoration. N Pevsner, The Buildings of
England: Yorkshire, East Riding, 1972, p 240. G Poulson, The History and
Antiquities of Holderness, 1840, p 385; Victoria County History: York, East
Riding, vol 5, 1984, pp 38-40.

Listing NGR: TA2680827745

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.